Head of Open Source Software (OSS)
Up to £120,000/yr
The job’s main purpose is to coordinate the Open Source Software activities.
Extensive Open Source Software contributions from software development activities.
Main Purpose of Job
The role includes taking senior technical responsibility for all Open Source Software contributions from software developments as well as providing a high level of technical authority in one or more technical domains that are being contributed as OSS.
The role will include representing our client in the wider OSS community and promoting strategies in the OSS components used in pour clients products.
You will be responsible for performing all, or part, of the open source software development life cycle from Analysis, Specification, Designing, Documentation, Review, Implementation, Verification, Contribution and Maintenance.
An important part of the job will be offering advice on and helping to incubate new projects, which may involve feasibility, design and prototyping work across the complete range of software platforms and applications used by our client, its suppliers and customers.
In a senior technical position you will be expected to develop and maintain a wide understanding of all Linux based platform components that can be used in Mobile devices and to provide high level technical input to architectural designs used within our client and other groups within our client.
This position reports to a relevant department manager and ultimately to the MD. This is a team leader position and you will be technically responsible for other engineers within the team. Initially the team will consist of a relatively small number of engineers but is expected to grow significantly as responsibility increases.
1. Technical responsibility for all OSS projects to develop functionality towards the requirements of our clients products
2. Carry out detailed analysis of technical and product marketing information to create and guide OSS project developments
3. Engage directly with internal customers, 3rd party suppliers and key Open Source Software projects to guide the technology used in the development of products.
4. Represent at external events and Open Source forums, giving presentations and participating in discussions
5. Promoting Open source best practices across engineering groups
6. Work at a high level in introducing new and innovative technology to products, performing feasibility studies, high level designs, and prototyping typical of the incubation stages of large development projects.
7. Contribute to and provide technical consultation to other projects, other locations or in collaboration with external partners.
8. Keep abreast of developments with all Mobile SW platforms. Understanding their architecture and how to design and develop new features and applications for them
9. Team building, recruitment project planning and budgeting for OSS projects
10. Technically supporting the software engineers within the OSS team
11. As a team leader encouraging team building, motivation and cultivate effective team relations
12. Supporting the training and development needs of the OSS team
13. Continuous development of the methods and processes used for Open Source Software.
Skills and Experience
1. A degree in Computer Science, Electronics, Natural Science, Mathematics, Engineering or any related discipline (an equivalent period of industrial experience may be substituted).
2. A proven track record in real time embedded software development preferably for mobile devices with an understanding of the embedded development environments and associated development restrictions.
3. Proficiency in C and an understanding of programming languages used in software development
4. Previous development experience in an Open Source Software project development community..
5. Experience in design and development of embedded systems for mobile platforms, with expertise in one or more of the components used in these platforms.
6. A good understanding of documentation requirements and able to able to clearly present complex ideas and technical designs.
7. A good level of inter-personal and communication skills to be able to communicate with a wide range of people to the Managing director and VP level.
8. The desire and ability to lead a team and managing the work of other engineers within a team structure
9. A high degree of self-motivation and the ability to work alone, managing own work and setting sensible priorities according to requirements.
10. Good analytical and logical thinking capability with a high level innovation
To apply for this position, candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK