Find your future role
Delivery Health & Safety Manager
|Location||Milton Keynes, England|
Matchtech seeks to find an experinced Health & Safety Manager with the skills to deliver major railway infrastructure projects in the Milton Keynes area on a contract basis.
Key skills required for this role
Health & Safety, Managerment, Nebosh, Iosh, CDM
Health & Safety, Management, Nebosh, Iosh, CDM
Delivery Health & Safety Manager
Location: Milton Keynes
Duration: 7 Months
Are you passionate about ensuring safety and security in major construction projects? Do you have a strong background in health and safety management in the rail industry? If so, we want you to join a team as a Delivery Health & Safety Manager for a large railway infrastructure project working out of Milton Keynes.
About Our Client:
Their dedication is to achieve a 'Safe and Secure' outcome. As the Delivery Health & Safety Manager, you will play a pivotal role in overseeing all aspects of health and safety management during the design and construction phase of the project.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
As the Delivery Health & Safety Manager, your key responsibilities and accountabilities will include:
- Acting as a subject matter expert (SME) for design and construction Health, Wellbeing, Safety, and Security (HWSS).
- Developing and implementing health and safety strategies, standards, and procedures that align with our Health and Management System (HSMS).
- Leading efforts to ensure compliance with legal duties under the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM), including educating relevant personnel.
- Preparing and implementing project delivery health and safety deliverables, such as CDM plans, Project Safety Strategies, and Health and Safety files.
- Establishing processes to report, investigate, and remediate accidents and incidents in line with industry best practices and statutory requirements.
- Monitoring key performance criteria and indicators related to HWSS.
- Collaborating on the preparation of tender documentation and assessing supplier bid submissions.
- Reviewing and accepting contractors' and designers' submissions, particularly for high-risk activities.
- Developing and implementing site-based HWSS strategies and campaigns to achieve 'zero harm.'
- Managing competency schemes like Sentinel and CCS where applicable.
- Conducting pre-work briefings and site health & safety inductions.
- Performing regular site monitoring, reviews, and inspections to ensure compliance with policies, plans, procedures, and legal requirements.
- Overseeing site-related activities, including the survey management program.
- Collaborating with all partners to align HSMS system requirements.
- Conducting site and supplier health and safety audits as part of the Delivery Audit Plan.
- Liaising with the Occupational Health and Safety Manager to ensure provision of suitable site health and safety training and equipment.
- Managing and nurturing relationships with key stakeholders and suppliers.
- Proactively seeking innovation and efficiency opportunities.
- Supporting our commitment to customer service and the customer journey.
- Taking responsibility for personal and team health and safety.
- Promoting diversity in the workplace and fostering appropriate behaviours when interacting with colleagues.
You will report to the Delivery Director with functional accountability to the corporate Head of HWSS. Given the project's early stage, the role may evolve, and ad-hoc activities may be required.
Experience and Skills:
To excel in this role, you should possess:
- 10 years professional experience, with at least 5 years in the UK rail industry in a construction and major project delivery capacity.
- Experience in fast-paced and complex environments, particularly during the setup of new organizations.
- Extensive practical experience in project delivery health and safety management.
- Knowledge of management system standards (e.g., ISO 9001, ISO 14001) and relevant legislation and regulations.
- Strong risk management skills.
- Experience in delivering education, training, and cultural change programs.
- Demonstrated ability to drive continuous improvement and innovation.
- Conflict resolution skills and experience in managing risks and issues.
- Leadership and team management in matrixed environments.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and stakeholder management skills.
- Confidence in dealing with uncertainty and ambiguity.
Education and Qualifications:
You should have:
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent demonstrable experience in engineering, science, environment, or business.
- Chartered Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety & Health (CMIOSH).
- Lead Auditor certification.
- Industry-standard health and safety qualification (e.g., NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent).
- Rail-related safety skills, such as holding a current CCS/Sentinel card, would be advantageous.
If you are a dedicated health and safety professional ready to take on this important role, apply today and be part of our mission to create a safe and secure railway environment. Join us in building a better, safer future. Apply now!