Find your future role
Payroll Team Manager
|City of Preston, England
|Contract 12 Months
Payroll Team Manager | Preston | 12 Months contract
£24.95ph PAYE / £32.44ph UMB | Inside IR35
Key skills required for this role
Payroll/ Finance/ Management/ Senior/ Team Leader
Payroll Team Manager
The role requires you to obtain a BPSS check.
Payroll Team Manager
Based within the Payroll Operational team, reporting to the Payroll Operations Manager.
The main objective of this role is to lead, motivate and inspire a team of Payroll Professionals who manage high volume and high value monthly Payrolls across the business.
This role requires a customer focused approached to service delivery and also encompasses performance improvement, process improvement and involvement in the delivery of Payroll related business projects
- Responsible for managing key relationships with internal & external stakeholders.
- Managing the team SLA's and KPI's to ensure that all Payrolls are delivered accurately and on time. Maintain and monitor daily/weekly quality statistics for review and recommendations.
- Lead on internal/external Payroll reviews/audits.
- Drive and inspire continuous improvement across the Payroll operation.
- Responsible for providing subject matter expertise to key projects.
- Responsible for the ongoing review of existing processes and work instructions to ensure these remain up to date, relevant and fit for purpose.
- Assist with the coordination and submission of year end returns.
- Responsible for the transaction of BACS payments, FPS and all Pay cycle submissions.
- Act as lead on all payroll incident management issues, manage perception and complaints including root cause analysis and preventative measures to ensure a positive outcome and minimize future payroll incidents.
- Represent Payroll in internal and external meetings, events or forums.
- Review as agreed business continuity plans to ensure relevance and to ensure that they are up to date.
- Responsible for leading the Payroll Advisors/professionals team and full people management responsibility for them including coaching, developing and motivating the team.
- Responsible for the cascade of business objectives and maintaining the teams understanding of vision/mission and purpose of the department and achievement of objectives in the required timescales.
- Responsible for undertaking regular on-going performance reviews (1:1's), identifying opportunities for continuous improvement, and individual development.
- Responsible for providing and maintaining regular data/statistics/reports on team to understand team productivity and individuals performance.
- Managing staff absences in line with business procedures and day to day people issues and queries.
- Responsible for the analysis of work volume trends to forecast future workflow and resource requirements.
- Responsible for the recruitment, training and coaching of new staff into the Payroll team to ensure maximum performance.
- Contributes and leads where applicable sessions in Payroll Team meetings i.e. system process improvements.
- Responsible for maintaining a working knowledge of business processes to support people management activities including training, coaching and development of the team.
- Responsible for keeping abreast of changes in Employment and Payroll Legislation through various channels i.e. reading professional magazines, attending seminars etc and imparting this knowledge for the benefit of the team
- Deputise where applicable for Payroll Operations Manager
- Any other duties deemed appropriate by the business
- Extensive Payroll Experience ideally in a Shared Service environment
- In depth payroll legislation knowledge, including appreciation for future changes and impact on payroll function
- Resource Link system knowledge or similar
- Experience of data interrogation in order to analyse, troubleshoot and problem solve
- Ability to deal and resolve difficult and emotive situations without escalation to a senior level
- People Management/Leadership Skills (Coaching/Mentoring)
- Influencing skills
- Stakeholder management (at all levels)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present ideas, data and results in an easy to understand format
- IT Literate (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- CIPP or equivalent (or willing to work towards)
- GCSEs or equivalent in Maths and English (Grades A-C)