- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Senior Systems Engineer
Our client are a leading defence technology business seeking an experienced systems engineer to join them in delivering the next generation of communication systems to the British Armed Forces.
The successful candidate will be a senior professional with strong knowledge of digital radio and networking products and systems (preferably with a mobile communications context) and broad knowledge of systems engineering practices and management.
They will have a background in the design of embedded digital communications systems (from a systems, software or electronic engineering perspective) with a good knowledge of the wider system context. In this role, they will be able to contribute systems engineering expertise on complex projects and processes with general oversight from engineering management.
The role requires regular communication within and outside of the engineering function to gather information and manage a successful outcome to projects.
- Maintenance of the design for existing tactical radio products (including the development of new features and enhancements)
- Liaison with manufacturing and suppliers for design engineering activities (including support to production and component obsolesce management)
- Developing requirements from customer aspirations and concepts
- Requirements management, producing use cases and high-level specifications
- Allocating requirements and assistance in producing lower level design and technical documentation
- Producing test plans and specifications and analysing test results
- Preparing for and participating in formal technical reviews (SRR, PDR, CDR, TRR etc.)
The successful candidate will be able to perform the role with general oversight from Engineering Management and Leadership. They will be responsible for providing guidance, coaching and training to other employees in system engineering matters and working closely with peers from other engineering disciplines. They will be responsible for managing complex projects, at times involving delegation of work and review of work products.
The successful individual will have good written and verbal communication skills and be able to discuss complex technical matters with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in an electrical, electronic or software engineering related discipline or with equivalent relevant experience.
- Strong relevant engineering experience (in a senior systems/software/electronics position) on digital communications projects.
Preferred Additional Skills (knowledge of one or more of the following is desirable):
- Writing of technical documentation (e.g. specifications, white papers)
- Working in a multi-disciplinary engineering team (especially with system, software and electronics engineers.
- Detailed knowledge and experience of systems engineering practices and techniques.
- Detailed knowledge of real-time embedded systems, Digital Signal Processing (DSP) and related technologies.
- Knowledge of UML (or SysML or similar) and associated tools.
- Computer literate (with good knowledge of Microsoft Office and other desktop applications).
- Understanding of the design lifecycle including requirements, design methodologies and configuration management.
- Ability to work within a flexible team environment.
- Must be internal and external customer focused.
- Ability to effectively manage time and prioritise activities to ensure efficient and effective support.
- Ability to assess immediate issues and provided direction for resolution.
- Pro-actively takes ownership of situation within skill set and lead through to satisfactory resolution.
- The position requires the candidate to currently hold or be able to obtain a UK security clearance.
- Military RF communications systems, Software Defined Radio (SDR) and RF modulation
- Development of communication waveforms
- Development of embedded systems
- Systems integration experience
- Digital, analogue and RF circuit design and analysis
- VHDL and FPGA design
- Schematic capture tools (e.g. Cadence, OrCAD)
- Software development tools
- MATLAB and other engineering design tools
- Hands on experience with electronic test equipment (e.g. oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, logic analysers)
- Requirement management tools (e.g. DOORS)
- Understanding of technical risk management