- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
My client is recruiting for a Design Manager in the Water Sector
You will be responsible for leading a multi-disciplinary engineering design team, identifying and promoting solutions at the definition stage of Water sector projects. You will lead the team in the investigation and assessment of current asset performance, definition of surveys and inspections, identification of solution options, production of feasibility reports and outline designs, and support to clients through their investment process.
What you'll be doing day to day:
- Leading the delivery of feasibility and outline design engineering services at the early stages of a project's lifecycle as part of water companies' capital investment programmes.
- Working alongside the Head of Technical Services to ensure scheme designs and outputs are value engineered, address client needs, adhere to specifications whilst retaining appropriate levels of operational security and full compliance with all relevant Health, Safety and Environmental legislation.
- Ascertaining Clients requirements through reference to their specification documents or through meetings with their nominated personnel. A key requirement is the ability to determine the actual client requirement and propose appropriate solutions.
- Overseeing the production of project outputs such as reports, drawings, specifications, data sheets, technical notes and presentations to feed into the relevant project review gateways as part of the capital delivery process.
- Managing active projects, including internal financial reporting and planning as well as client facing project reporting on progress, costs and programme.
- Promoting innovation, challenging our clients and the supply chain to ensure cost effectiveness in both our design solutions and design activities
- Managing, mentoring and developing direct reports in conjunction with the Head of Technical Services
- Ensuring all work is completed to agreed programmes, financial budgets and KPI's.
- Liaising with client's engineering staff or where applicable their design consultants to ensure designs are approved in accordance with the timescales stipulated within the contract.
- Attending internal and external design reviews and where applicable progress meetings.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Industry applicable degree
- Chartered Engineer (preferred)
- Experience and understanding of water and sewage treatment processes essential
- Experience of design management
- Commercial and contractual awareness
- Excellent ICT knowledge and skills
- Experienced manager with proven ability to organise yourself and others workload
Attributes we're looking for in a candidate:
- Desire to understand and promote the Company purpose, vision, values and culture
- Trustworthy and ethical approach, exercising discretion where required
- Organised, structured and professional, with a passion for excellence
- Flexibility, resilience and the ability to influence and build relationships at all levels
- Commitment to the provision of excellent customer service
- Be an excellent communicator at all levels both internally and client facing
- Proven influencing and negotiation skills to both internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in a fast paced, national and multi-site business
- Self starter who has the ability to prioritise a varied workload and demonstrate good time management to comply with deadlines
- Innovative thinking