- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Product Design Engineer
Our client are a leading manufacturing business who are developing high end electro/mechanical products. They are looking for a Product Design Engineer to join them.
What you will be doing…
As a Product Design Engineer you will be working within the research and development team, and be responsible for the mechanical design and development in NPD projects. The role requires working in a team environment and especially closely with the electronic engineers to integrate electronics and mechanical assemblies in the final product. The use of 3D CAD (Solidworks) is a major part of this role.
The role will encompass all areas of design, development and manufacturing. A broad understanding of different processes would advantageous. The role will offer a variety of engineering challenges and scope to develop new skills and practices.
- Have a pro-active mind set to suggest part cost, quality and process improvements with a keen eye for detail.
- Apply creative solutions to the challenges that present themselves during the product development process.
- Be self-motivated and responsible in designing and validating parts that are to budget and meet the high quality expectations.
- Working with suppliers to design and develop end customer packaging solutions.
- Working closely with the electronic engineers to design mechanical parts to interface with the defined PCB technology.
- Agreeing processes, material selection and limit samples of parts to be used on product.
- Creating and maintaining 3D CAD (Solidworks) models of parts, sub-assembles and General assembles.
- Producing CAD drawings for use in product procurement, continually examining for fit and function including tolerance analysis.
- Design, development and validation of solutions through Solidworks Flow Simulation
- Validation of ISIR's during development.
- Creating Artwork for back panels, labels etc.
- Creating and updating the BOM checklist for projects.
- Define part quality expectations for Cosmetic Quality Specifications.
- Produce in-house prototype parts for initial feasibility tests, prior to receiving external samples.
- Taking part in DFMEA's and developing/conducting and recording mechanical tests to verify designs.
- Liaise with suppliers and procurement team to ensure parts are designed to optimize process, cost and quality capabilities
- Review and feedback on supplier DFM reports
- During development to ensure all aspects of design for manufacture, procurement and quality are built into the design.
- Validation of the unit build process with the Production Engineering team maintaining continued interaction with production to ensure these meet with manufacturing capabilities.
- To use the PDM system to keep drawings and 3D models up to date to allow access for other departments.
- Working to agreed timescales to ensure products are developed in accordance with the project plan.
- In addition to NPD, as stated above, this role will also involve continued interaction with manufacturing to troubleshoot production issues on existing products and provide workable solutions.
- Keep abreast of new materials, process and developments within the industry which will be of the benefit to development of new products.
What we are looking for…
- Educated to Degree standard in Mechanical Engineering/Product Design.
- Design experience and a strong understanding of the requirements designing in plastics would be beneficial
- Advanced 3D CAD skills in Solidworks, would be advantageous.
- The job-holder should possess a strong technical ability and a keen knowledge of manufacturing processes, with the necessary skills to turn concepts into products for manufacture.
- 'Hands on' practical skills will be required and experience of using workshop equipment i.e.: lathes, mills, drills etc. Is advantageous.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.