- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Senior Mechanical Development Engineer
Our client, one of the UK's leading provider of consultancy services to the Automotive industry, are currently looking for an experienced Senior Mechanical Development Engineer to join them on a contract basis.
Due to the expansion of business within the our clients' Powertrain & Transmissions Development group, we are actively searching for a Senior Mechancial Development Engineer. The Senior Mechanical Development Engineer will work on Powertrain focused projects across a wide spectrum of applications and their associated systems and sub-systems on a 6 month contract.
The role will require an understanding in automotive components, systems and associated vehicle parts. Understanding of transmission operation would also be beneficial. The job will require close co-operation with OEM, suppliers and test, design and analysis areas to define appropriate testing plans, analyse results and make recommendations for design changes on either new powertrain designs, vehicle interface systems or fault diagnostics projects. Projects may involve working alone or part of a cross-functional and possibly international team.
Your main task responsibilities could include using the following key tools:
- Team management
- Proposal preparation
- Understanding of the product development process
- System and component specifications
- DVP's (Design Validation Plans)
- Structured problem solving i.e 8D, DAMAIC process etc
- Test procedure preparation
- An understanding of component manufacture, supplier liaison and design release process are also beneficial
- Preparation and execution of component, system, engine and vehicle testing either SHoreham or on/offsite with the customer:
- Specialist instrumentation
- Prototype component manufacture
- Component and system functional and durability test rigs
- Functionality and durability engine dynamometer tests
- Functionality and durability vehicle tests
- Investigations and technical reporting to respond to customer powertrain enquiries on current and advanced technology on component or engine systems.
- Preparation of work proposals and project planning activities.
- Interfacing with engineering teams and specialists.
Preferred Experience/ Qualification
- A good Engineering degree is preferential but not essential.
- As well as a strong ability to apply of fundamental engineering principles. Relevant experience in the automotive engineering industry and in the field of mechanical development is essential. Initiative and interpersonal skills are essential, as are strong written communication, PC and presentation skills.
- Technical task management of projects and engineers
- Broad engineering knowledge of powertrain systems including:
- Supplier management
- Ability to coordinate and understand information from multiple engineering departments
- Understand engineering drawings
- Experience of fault finding techniques used in the Automotive industry
- Good project management skills
- Understanding of CAE and CFD techniques
- Understanding of engine component and system design gasoline and Diesel engines with a basic knowledge of transmission operation
- Good presentation and reporting
This role will be based onsite at Shoreham with travel to suppliers/customers as required.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.