- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Thermal Analysis Engineer
Our client, a leading supplier of Automotive powertrain solutions, are currently looking for an experienced Thermal Analysis Engineer to join them on a contract based in one of their UK offices.
An opportunity exists within our clients' Analysis Capability Group for a Thermal Analysis Engineer to deliver on-going client projects supporting a number of design and development programmes.
The role involves managing the targeted use of CAE tools and testing work to provide thermal management solutions to clients. The role will encompass all powertrain types, from conventional combustion engine through to pure electric powertrains and battery systems.
A Thermal Analysis Engineer is required to carry out a range of analysis tasks which include but are not limited to:
- Thermal analyses of electric motors, e-drives and battery systems,
- Coolant and lubrication circuit analyses of various types of engines and vehicles, including hybrid and electric vehicles,
- CFD analyses of air and liquid cooling of the engines.
The Thermal Analysis Engineer will be responsible for delivery of engineering solutions in line with project timescales and budgets as well as liaison with team members and customers in the achievement of targets.
Working in conjunction with engineers across Ricardo locations around the world, you will perform the following tasks:
- To work on engineering activities for engines, cooling and thermal systems from prototype through to full series production on client projects,
- Responsible for working closely with a design and development team to assess functionality and performance of the developed systems,
- Modelling and analysis of fluid systems using combinations of both 1D and 3D fluid dynamics and thermal analysis tools over a range of technologies across different engine and vehicle types and market sectors,
- Technical reporting; interpretation of results and suggestions for improvements,
- Preparation and maintenance of process documentation associated with the analysis,
- Support the development of future products and services; assisting in the development of new techniques.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
The candidates would typically be graduate mechanical or aero-thermal engineers with experience of simulation and/or thermal testing at an OEM or Tier 1.
- Minimum degree in an Engineering or Science related discipline, however significant industry experience may be considered instead of a degree,
- Have experience within the area of powertrain / electric systems analysis,
- A sound knowledge of fluid dynamics and thermodynamics theory,
- Experience using 1D flow and thermal analysis tools,
- Must be able to communicate and make presentations, with a high degree of clarity, having the ability to write and deliver technical presentations to both internal project teams and clients, at gateway and management reviews.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
It would be beneficial, but not essential if the applicant had some experience or knowledge in the following fields:
- Experience with 3D CFD codes like StarCD / Star CCM+, Fluent or VECTIS would be an advantage.
Our client would prefer this contractor to be based out of their site in Shoreham, however they may consider the contractor working from their Midlands site in Leamington Spa. Some working from home may also be available and to be discussed on application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.