- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Software Development Manager
We are recruiting for an expereienced Software Development Manager to work with a key marine electronics client in Fareham. The role is a permanent position managing 30 team members onsite and 30 abroad.
Software Development Manager
Product Development is key and as pioneers of consumer maritime electronics you will be working closely with our engineering team to develop new and exciting technology for the maritime sector.
You'll be immersed in challenging and diverse projects, surrounded by colleagues who share your passion and dedication. Our fast-paced, learning orientated environment utilises the Scrum methodology and will give you the opportunity to develop new skills every single day.
We will empower you to challenge the status quo with serious ambition being welcomed. We encourage creative freedom and scope to develop through our monthly innovation presentations. You will not just be developing ideas… the concepts that you innovate, will end up being used out on the water every day.
The successful candidate will we be acting as a software development manger within a larger development team. You will also be collaborating closely with engineering teams in Europe, Asia and the USA to develop new product features within existing and new user facing products. Additionally, the successful candidate will assist in the scoping, development, and testing of new products and systems.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
We are a global company with 130 offices across all five continents with an aim to save lives and livelihoods. We are constantly working on exciting new technologies such as UAV's, augmented reality, machine vision and machine learning. Our award winning products are used by the leisure, fishing, first responder, commercial and maritime security sectors.
We and all of our employees are committed to conducting business with the highest ethical standards. We require all employees to comply with all applicable laws, regulations, rules and regulatory orders. Our reputation for honesty, integrity and high ethics is as important to us as our reputation for making innovative sensing solutions.
Qualifications / Experience
The successful candidate must have an excellent understanding of agile and lean development methodologies and their origins. We believe that the skills that we are looking for are best built on a BSc or MSc degree in Computer Science or Electronic engineering followed by at least ten years of experience in hands on software development.
The role involves coaching Scrum Masters so Scrum Mastership experience is highly desirable. Scrum Masters with SAFe or similar certification will have a head start in the selection process.
As we work with sizeable remote teams, experience in managing remote teams is essential.
Last but not least, the successful candidate must demonstrate a good understanding of each of the following topics:
* Embedded programming
* Object Oriented Design
* Multi-threaded programming
* Device driver development
* User Interface development
* Open GL
* Network Protocols
* Configuration management
Duties and Tasks
* Own the software development process. Make sure teams follow the development process.
* Follow software teams' performance closely. Identify bottlenecks and strive to improve productivity. This is best achieved by attending Scrum meetings regularly.
* Identify development needs and fulfil them.
* Identify software resource requirements for upcoming projects.
* Make sue project are adequately resourced.
* Support software project managers with estimation and resource planning.
* Support product managers with their roadmaps by providing risk and feasibility assessments.
* Manage outsourced teams. Liaise with account managers to communicate our requirements, help with selection, raise PO's and approve invoices.
* Track emerging technologies, innovations, and obsolescence
* Competitor awareness - understand who the key competitors and emerging threats are. Assess the technical strengths and pitfalls of the products and feature sets they offer