- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Senior Structures Advisor
This is a great opportunity to develop your career within the technical management of highway structures, working with industry leading experts who are dedicated to quality, safety and making a meaningful contribution to the users of the SRN.
As a Senior Structures Advisor, you will provide specialist and complex technical advice and guidance to support the safe and efficient operation, maintenance and modernisation of the Strategic Road Network (SRN). You will contribute to Highways England's asset management transformation/change programme, as well as promoting best practice in design, construction, operation and management of our highway structures assets. The role reports to the Principal Structures Advisor/Team Leader (East) for SES.
This role is with the East area team but can be carried out from either home or any of HE's national offices with 1 day / week in their Bedford office.
Day to Day
- Apply your structures' expertise to solve a range of bridge and other highway structure engineering problems.
- Provide authoritative advice and guidance to Operations and Major Projects colleagues, and represent the interests of Highways England to external stakeholders.
- Act as a representative of the Technical Approval Authority, with responsibility for ensuring application of CG 300 technical governance to highway structures.
- Contribute to the effective management of complex structural risks.
- Contribute to the development of structures policy/guidance and the development of standards.
To be Successful
- You will need to be a Chartered Civil and/or Chartered Structural Engineer (MICE CEng and/or MIStructE CEng) or equivalent, with a sound academic background. Applications from Incorporated Engineers of either Institution will also be considered on merit.
- You should have substantial experience relevant to the role, preferably covering design, maintenance and construction. A strong technical and analytical ability is desired.
- You should demonstrate the willingness and ability to accept responsibility for your own workload, and to support the broader team.
- You should have proven experience of leading the development of solutions and provision of specialist advice in the technical discipline of bridge design, assessment and management.
- You should be able to demonstrate proven experience of the successful delivery of complex bridge structures projects, including the establishment/application of technical governance.
- You should have experience of managing senior stakeholder relationships to achieve desired outcomes.
- Finally, you should have experience of communicating technical information effectively to a range of audiences.
A bit about us
The Safety, Engineering and Standards team's key priorities are to support world class operational delivery and technical advice for our road network, provide support services to lead, enable and innovate in the development of the Strategic Road Network and provide expert advice on matters relating to health and safety.