- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Principal Drainage Engineer
- Drainage Engineer - Rail
- 6 month contract
- Birmingham, Manchester OR work fully from home
- 37.5 hours/week
- MicroDrainage experience essential
ASAP start available
Drainage Engineer - Rail
We are recruiting for a Drainage Engineer who has gained proven work experience in the design of drainage solutions for Rail, Highways and other Infrastructure Projects. The role will combine project management, line management and hands-on drainage design.
The successful applicant would lead the delivery of projects to meet budget, time and quality targets, meeting or exceeding client expectations.
About The Team:
Our Rail team is involved in some of the UK's most high profile, complex and stimulating projects that are diverse and technically demanding. We have an enviable reputation in the delivery of some of the UK's and indeed the world's most prestigious and challenging projects including HS2 and the Wessex Area CP6 Framework. The Rail teamwork with many large Contractor Clients as well as Network Rail. Current scheme types include:
* HS2 Track and Highway Drainage,
* Network Rail Track Drainage,
* Network Rail Maintenance Depots,
* Network Rail New and Refurbished Stations,
* Network Rail Earthworks Drainage,
The team undertake all aspects of drainage design including surface, foul and trade effluent systems through all stages from project need through to construction stage support. We also guide our clients as required in relation to obtaining the relevant licensing/ permits.
The Rail Drainage team works with offices throughout the UK and around the world using the latest technology to provide complete drainage design solutions that include drawings, calculations and reports. We are committed to delivering high standard designs in 3D environments to ensure they are fully coordinated with other disciplines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Principal Design Engineer you will be required to manage your own budget and help deliver projects on time and to the expected standard, meeting or exceeding client expectations. You will be responsible for liaising with technicians and apprentices on projects. We use overseas design offices as well as engineers located in offices in the UK to help deliver our projects. As a result, the candidate may need to do some travelling to other UK offices. There may also be opportunity to visit overseas design offices to meet the team and to maintain strong working relationships.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Liaison with the Principal Engineer and the Project Manager to keep them informed of all changes/ modifications associated with the project,
- Project duties will include preparation of design solutions at various stages of a project; preparation of drawings / BIM models, reports, specifications and estimates; with document management in line with Client and specifications and Design Standards.
- Contributing to the resolution of technical issues on projects and providing technical guidance to other team members, such as junior engineers, technicians and apprentices.
- Working in collaboration with other design disciplines to ensure the integrity of the overall design.
- Gaining awareness of, and familiarity with, the commercial aspects of projects to develop commercial skills.
- Building a profile in the industry and keeping up to date with innovations and developments.
- Being familiar with, and compliant with, relevant Health & Safety regulations and to promote a culture of awareness within the team.
- Drainage design experience gained with rail and infrastructure projects throughout the UK.
- Knowledge of HS2, Network Rail, Sustainable Drainage Systems, Sewers for Adoption and DMRB standards for drainage design
- Familiar with and use of some, but not necessarily all of the following software design methods such as Bentley MicroStation, Bentley OpenRoads, MicroDrainage, AutoCAD and Civils3D including integration with BIM models
- Knowledge of hydraulic design principles and ability to apply manual calculation methods where software methods are not available
- Understanding of flood modelling of overland flow and its application in rail projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to think in an innovative and entrepreneurial manner
- A strong team-working ethic is essential
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.