- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Principal Software Engineer
Our client is specialises in artificial intelligence, machine learning, data fusion and autonomy. They have an exciting role for an experienced C++ software engineer to join them in their Woking offices.
Our client is specialises in artificial intelligence, machine learning, data fusion and autonomy. Principally supplying into the defence and security sectors, they are a trusted supplier to the UK Government, Law Enforcement, and a number of international defence suppliers and private sector organisations. Many of the technologies have been developed and commissioned to detect criminal behaviour, protect assets and help save lives. They are also recognised by the UK Government as a leading innovator in their field of expertise.
We're looking for a talented and passionate software engineer to join our innovative and collaborative research and development team. This is an exciting opportunity to take a role with a high level of responsibility involving coaching and leading others as well as keeping your own development skills razor sharp!
- Coaching and mentoring other engineers to architect, design and develop software. This includes design discussions, code reviews, defining development processes and evangelising good practice.
- Undertaking your own development work on key projects and technologies - this role requires someone who will lead by example in their own software development work.
- Projects will include everything from large scale multimedia content analysis, real-time demonstrations of state-of-the-art machine learning applications and working with specialist sensing equipment.
- Keeps up to date with development of state-of-the-art engineering processes and leads on company level improvements.
- Leads on engagements with internal and external suppliers and clients, related to cross Business Unit activities and general support to sales activities and acts as governance chair for complex or complicated bids.
Your projects will be diverse - working with varying clients, across a number of sectors, using a range of skills. Consequently, we are looking for individuals able to work flexibly across projects in different domains. You might apply your skills to rapidly prototype new approaches & solutions. Equally, you may apply them to complement or advance existing solutions.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience required;
- Experience in a hands-on software engineering role with a flair for software design and architecture
- Computer Science degree or closely related discipline
- Experience with mentoring and leading small teams would be highly beneficial
- Excellent academic background and extremely strong coding skills, with C++ being critical
- Experience with architecting multi-process systems including multi-threaded processes is key
- Comfortable to develop in Windows as well as Linux
- Optional; highly desirable demonstration of personal projects and active contributions to open-source community