- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Senior Electrical Engineer / Advisor
The Energy Team is part of Safety, Engineering & Standards (SES) in National Highways - they have a key role supporting the de-carbonisation of road transport on England's motorways and trunk roads - our Strategic Road Network
Your new role
As a Senior Electrical Engineer Advisor you will be providing specialist technical electrical advice and technical assurance across various projects throughout National Highways especially those supporting decarbonising road user emissions. For those projects you'll help ensure that delivery of the plan is co-ordinated and focussed towards achieving the Company's goals as efficiently as possible. You will monitor developments in the industry and look for opportunities to utilise learning from other infrastructure providers, nationally and internationally.
You will need to engage with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders at all levels to ensure that good schemes are promoted and delivered and that best electrical practice is shared across National Highways.
What you'll be leading on
- Providing accurate, practical and timely technical advice and assurance (including reviews and governance) to support colleagues in resolving technical issues, focusing particularly on electrical transmission and energy use.
- Act as a source of electrical subject matter expertise to provide appropriate advice and guidance to our contractors and suppliers.
- Supporting colleagues with their personal development
- Providing technical advice on energy policies, standards and operating procedures to support National Highways' strategic and shorter-term objectives including our contribution to tacking road users carbon emissions.
- Work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, to develop and deliver Energy Team's forward programme of carbon reduction measures, agreeing their contributions to the Company objectives and monitoring that these are being delivered.
- Act as focal point and present the work at internal and external forums contributing to development of wider policy initiatives and best practice activities.
- Lead on the development and implementation of activities in support of our Net Zero highways: our 2030 / 2040 / 2050 plan
- Drive improvements in health and safety performance ensuring effective practice is promulgated to staff and partners, particularly around relevant actions in the organisations' 5-year Health, Safety and Wellbeing Plan.
To be successful
- Full membership of (or working towards) a relevant professional institution, or relevant qualifications and evidence of professional development
- Significant recent knowledge of electrical energy management, including renewable energy and energy storage systems.
- Proven experience of communicating complex electrical matters and risks in an appropriate way to aid the recipients' understanding
- Experience of development or delivery of projects supporting decarbonisation policy
- Proven experience of supporting management of stakeholder relationships to shape / influence policy to deliver organisational objectives and meet the needs of customers and stakeholders
- Ability to use a combination of general and specialist knowledge and understanding to optimise the solutions to complex electrical engineering issues involving significant levels of risk.
- Ability to work effectively with others to support the delivery of projects, whilst dealing constructively with setbacks.
- Good experience of working in a structured project and programme management environment [preferably APM or equivalent] delivering successful projects and programmes
FLEXIBLE WORKING - 37 HOURS / WEEK
HYBRID WORKING - BASE FROM HOME OR ANY NATIONAL OFFICE LOCATION