- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
This vacancy is for the A1 in Northumberland, Morpeth to Ellingham; construction Summer 2022 - late 2024, with a scheme budget of £313m. The multidiscipline project involves the dueling of the A1 in Northumberland.
The role would be ideal for an Engineer with site experience looking to develop their career and be part of the team managing a section of works on a complex highway contract and support and manage the development of Junior Engineering staff.
What You Will Be Doing
· Work within an integrated team of Costain and Jacobs and specialist supply chain personnel.
· Provide engineering support to the packages of work that are assigned to you or within your allocated section of the scheme, providing engineering setting out, temporary works supervision and point of contact for subcontractors, craftspeople and operatives within your area of responsibility.
· Build effective relationships with the delivery team
· Contribute to the short-term planning of the works through liaison with the delivery team and deliver the 1-week lookahead programme, raising any issues achieving it to your Section Engineer in a timely manner
· Develop and prepare permits and quality documentation and ensure they are in place prior to works staring; ITPs, Permits, NCRs Handover Documentation and the like
· Complete weekly safety inspections, raise safety observations and run and distribute the daily Start of Shift briefing
· Produce temporary works design briefs, managing the installation of temporary works with the approved construction drawings, carrying out regular inspections and ensuring temporary works procedures are followed.
· Ensure that all materials used and work performed are in accordance with the specifications
· Oversee the selection and requisition of materials
· Liaise with any consultants, subcontractors, supervisors, planners, quantity surveyors and the general workforce involved in the project
· Attending regular co-ordination meetings as required
· Carry out day-to-day engineering under the guidance of your Section Engineer
· Complete accurate records of work including daily site diaries, output monitoring, progress reports, quality documentation etc.
· Report unexpected technical difficulties and other problems that may arise to your Section Engineer and assist in resolving them.
· Civil Engineering related qualification (HNC, HND, BSc MSc, BEng, MEng).
· Demonstrable experience delivering infrastructure projects.
· Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) mandatory.
· Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) preferable.
· Other relevant training (preferred includes Appointed Person, relevant lifting training, and temporary works supervision) to be listed on CV.
· Good written and oral communication skills.
· Experience in setting out using dumpy levels, total stations and other survey equipment.
· The ability to manage and complete tasks in line with timescales provided by Section Engineer.