- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Defence Systems Engineer
Our client are a leading defence R&D business seeking an experienced Systems Engineer to join them in their Romsey or Bristol offices.
As a Systems Engineer you will have the opportunity to help deliver a broad range of complex and challenging technical programmes within a dynamic and rewarding environment. You will be working closely alongside our defence clients to ensure that innovative and effective solutions are developed for the UK armed forces.
The role will include travel and working at a number of MOD sites around the UK, including opportunities based in Bristol and surrounding area. It is also expected that some time will initially be spent in Romsey in order to become familiar with corporate practices and ways of working.
This is a customer-facing role; therefore, we are looking for individuals who have the appropriate technical knowledge and who are able to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders at all levels and act as a trusted advisor to our clients.
You will be a key participant in the design and delivery of a variety of strategic programmes and business critical initiatives and will be part of large scale engagements where change and evolution of services contribute to this fascinating, and demanding environment.
Areas of Responsibility / Tasks
- Working as part of a team to produce system architectures & designs from concept through to build.
- Applying and adapting your system design skills between specific areas of business challenge or opportunity, spanning a range of existing and emerging technologies including (but not limited to) applications, middleware, network infrastructure and radio bearers
- Growing and managing architecture products, through the development of data models, standards and the design and implementation of processes and tools;
- Understanding & interpreting business or technical requirements and translate these into defined system models
- Validation & Verification planning as necessary to derisk end delivery.
- Engage with relevant stakeholders to establish consensus on viability of solution options and the associated benefits and risks
The ideal candidate will be degree qualified in a related subject or have the equivalent in relevant engineering, scientific or technical-based discipline.
Skills & Experience:
- Knowledge of architecture methodologies, standards, frameworks and tools (preferably TOGAF/Archimate)
- Experience in the application of Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)
- Requirements elicitation & management
- Configuration management & baseline development through lifecycle
- Knowledge and understanding of Military Communications and Information Systems
- Experience of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) (Desirable)
- Experience of Enterprise-scale ICT solution development or assessment within a defence context (Desirable)
- Awareness of information security within the defence environment (Desirable)