- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Firmware/FPGA Design Engineers - All Levels
This is an exciting opportunity for you as an engineer to bring your skillset and knowledge to a fast paced, dynamic and forward thinking working environment. You will be involved across the Radar and Advanced Targeting Line of Business.
We are looking for a wide range of Firmware Engineers/FPGA Design Engineers at various levels to join Leonardo in Edinburgh. Leonardo are a world-class defence Technology Company. We develop cutting edge Radars for the Eurofighter Typhoon and SAAB Gripen fighter jets, as well as Maritime and Airborne surveillance systems. We are also investors in innovation, undertaking all our own research to fuel our future products. We are recruiting talented, motivated engineers to join our growing Electronics team.
The key duties of the role will be design and development of firmware designs, managing development activities through the project and engineering lifecycles and delivering the final solution.
You will also work as part of a larger, multi-disciplinary team focused on delivering Firmware solutions to Radar or Advanced Targeting projects.
What we can offer you:
* Flexible working: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life through flexible hours and part time options
* Custom working: The role may be a mixture of home based and onsite
* Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual lifestyle goals.
* Network groups : To demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion we have network groups for
o Carers (employees who care for someone who is either older, disabled or seriously ill)
o Enable (supporting people with disabilities)
o Equalise (development of a gender balanced workforce)
o Pride (promoting equality for all LGBTQ+ individuals)
o We also work in partnership with AFBE (Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers).
* Training : Free access to Coursera which provides more than 4,000 online courses
* Continuous Learning : You will be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring
* Investors in People : We are proud recipients of the Investors in People Silver Award
* Employee Assistance Programme : Providing free and confidential mental health support
* Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 8 flexi days
In addition to the flexible working patterns offered by Leonardo's custom working initiative, this role is also available on a part time basis.
As a Firmware Engineer you will be responsible for;
* Hardware requirements capture and management.
* Concept development for complex functions and systems.
* FPGA design and analysis.
* Production of material for design reviews.
* Development of test planning, integration and design verification.
* Ensure that all firmware designs follow the company firmware process.
You will ideally have experience in the following areas;
* Experience using FPGA technologies from either Xilinx, Intel (Altera) or Microsemi (Actel) and their tools.
* Experience in verification techniques using either VHDL or System Verilog / UVM.
* Experience in specifying timing and area constraints for efficient FPGA Place and Route.
* Ability to analyse system level requirements and derive detailed Firmware requirements.
* A methodical approach to the full firmware design lifecycle, working to a structured firmware process such as RTCA DO-254 or similar.
* Experience of de-bugging firmware designs and supporting verification and integration at hardware and system level alongside Software and Electronic's Engineers.
* Experience of making technical decisions and mitigating technical risk for Firmware design activities.
* Ability to communicate effectively across different disciplines both verbally and in written form.
* Ability to work on own or as part of a team including engineers from other disciplines.
* Familiarity with Xilinx Vivado is an advantage, but not vital.
* Familiarity with Mentor Graphics FPGA development tools including HDL Designer and ModelSim / Questa is an advantage, but not vital.
* First or second degree (BSc, BEng, MEng, MSc, PhD, EngD) in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (preferable) or related science (eg Physics).
Personal attributes and values are just as important to us as technical ability so we are looking for engineers with a willingness to learn, progress and develop through our devoted technical career path. If you are passionate in what you do and can deliver a pragmatic approach to problem solving we would like to hear from you.
This is a great opportunity to bring your talents and form an integral part of Leonardo's future. We can help you develop your skills and offer great opportunities to develop and grow, so why not join us.
We are relentless about inclusion. We understand an inclusive environment is one that welcomes everyone as they are. We see diversity as a strength. We still have some way to go to achieving diverse teams across our whole business. We would like you to be part of our journey to creating that better balance and welcome applications from all individuals from all walks of life as we build a stronger company together.