- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Using the InTime contractor portal
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
An opportunity has arisen for a Mechanical Fitter on a permanent basis, based in Lowestoft
Purpose of Job:
To strip out overhaul / refurbish and install mechanical equipment for vessels, using knowledge of mechanical, metallurgy, and engineering requirements.
- Experience of working with working with vessels. Read and understand basic layout and assembly drawings, to class society rules / standards
- Good understanding of shipbuilding/ship repair practices. Understands Works specifications. Understand equipment manuals and installation guides.
- Must have experience of working with engines, propulsion systems, pump systems, deck machinery, hydraulics systems.
- To be able to set up carry out alignment and dimensional control checks. Must have commissioning experience for new build vessels.
- Must be able to work with equipment lathes, radial & bench drills, bore/milling tools, alignment equipment,
- Within this role of fitter/turner you shall undertake support for docking and undocking of vessels, setting up blocks, carry out line handling, fitting and monitoring of shores whilst docking being carried out.
- To assist Management in ensuring that servicing, repairs and maintenance of Company machinery and equipment is carried out periodically in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations.
- To ensure that he/she is contactable via telephone to suit the emergency/responsive nature of the Company's core business and client base and may be expected to undertake on-call activities when required.
- In addition to the responsibilities listed above, all employees must be flexible in their approach and undertake other duties, wherever they may be, to achieve the objectives of the Company.
- Read and interpret blueprints and working drawings. Plan mechanical work and make estimates of materials required.
- Make precise arm-hand positioning movements and maintain static arm-hand position. Make fine, highly controlled muscular movements to adjust the position of a control mechanism.
- Make skilful, controlled manipulations of small objects. Clean equipment using appropriate materials.
- Lift arms above shoulder level. Work in small, cramped areas. Work at heights or depths greater than ten feet. Climb ladders or stairs to reach objects. Remain in a standing position for extended periods of time.
- Learn job-related material primarily through oral instruction and observation. This learning takes place mainly in an on-the-job training setting.
- Utilise independent judgment in the performance of duties. Work shifts nights, weekends additional hours, Work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the elements.
Required Experience and Training:
- Experience of work to class society rules for boat building,
- Expected to be time served NVQ Level 3 apprenticeship with HNC/NC Mechanical Engineering /Shipbuilding Qualification.
- Must have experience of all mechanical equipment installation methods.
- Must have at least 3-5 years minimum trade experience in the marine industry.
- Be prepared and confident to travel, as required, for the overall gain of the business. Full UK driving licence.
- Must have good demonstrable organisational skills.
- Must be able to interpret technical drawings, schematic parts manuals and diagrams and associated technical data & specifications.
- Must be able to work as part of a team and be able to motivate.
£14.25 - £19/h PAYE
Standard week - 40 hours, plus OT when required
Being permanent you will also gain from the other benefits such as holiday, pension, sick pay, etc
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.