- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
An opportunity has arisen for a Mechanical Fitter on a permanent basis, based in Lowestoft
Purpose of Job:
To strip out overhaul / refurbish and install mechanical equipment for vessels, using knowledge of mechanical, metallurgy, and engineering requirements.
- Experience of working with working with vessels. Read and understand basic layout and assembly drawings, to class society rules / standards
- Good understanding of shipbuilding/ship repair practices. Understands Works specifications. Understand equipment manuals and installation guides.
- Must have experience of working with engines, propulsion systems, pump systems, deck machinery, hydraulics systems.
- To be able to set up carry out alignment and dimensional control checks. Must have commissioning experience for new build vessels.
- Must be able to work with equipment lathes, radial & bench drills, bore/milling tools, alignment equipment,
- Within this role of fitter/turner you shall undertake support for docking and undocking of vessels, setting up blocks, carry out line handling, fitting and monitoring of shores whilst docking being carried out.
- To assist Management in ensuring that servicing, repairs and maintenance of Company machinery and equipment is carried out periodically in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations.
- To ensure that he/she is contactable via telephone to suit the emergency/responsive nature of the Company's core business and client base and may be expected to undertake on-call activities when required.
- In addition to the responsibilities listed above, all employees must be flexible in their approach and undertake other duties, wherever they may be, to achieve the objectives of the Company.
- Read and interpret blueprints and working drawings. Plan mechanical work and make estimates of materials required.
- Make precise arm-hand positioning movements and maintain static arm-hand position. Make fine, highly controlled muscular movements to adjust the position of a control mechanism.
- Make skilful, controlled manipulations of small objects. Clean equipment using appropriate materials.
- Lift arms above shoulder level. Work in small, cramped areas. Work at heights or depths greater than ten feet. Climb ladders or stairs to reach objects. Remain in a standing position for extended periods of time.
- Learn job-related material primarily through oral instruction and observation. This learning takes place mainly in an on-the-job training setting.
- Utilise independent judgment in the performance of duties. Work shifts nights, weekends additional hours, Work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the elements.
Required Experience and Training:
- Experience of work to class society rules for boat building,
- Expected to be time served NVQ Level 3 apprenticeship with HNC/NC Mechanical Engineering /Shipbuilding Qualification.
- Must have experience of all mechanical equipment installation methods.
- Must have at least 3-5 years minimum trade experience in the marine industry.
- Be prepared and confident to travel, as required, for the overall gain of the business. Full UK driving licence.
- Must have good demonstrable organisational skills.
- Must be able to interpret technical drawings, schematic parts manuals and diagrams and associated technical data & specifications.
- Must be able to work as part of a team and be able to motivate.
£14.25 - £19/h PAYE
Standard week - 40 hours, plus OT when required
Being permanent you will also gain from the other benefits such as holiday, pension, sick pay, etc