- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Electrical/Electronics Engineer - Barrow - 6 Months - £42.14 UMB
Electrical/Electronics Engineer: Job Description
A vacancy has arisen for a professional Electrical/Electronics Engineer to work within the weapons design team.
As part of BAE Systems Platforms and Services organisation in the USA, Weapon Systems (UK) designs, develops, manufactures and supports artillery systems, naval guns, small and medium calibre barrels and provides engineering capability to the wider BAE systems business. Our global reach brings our customers a depth and breadth of expertise that meet critical needs in the air, on land, and at sea.
Our UK site is based at BAE Systems Barrow in Furness site and is supported by a design team which includes Electronics, Safety, Software and Mechanical Engineering disciplines.
Typically duties and tasks:
- Producing system designs and documentation, including design descriptions, schematic diagrams and safety justifications.
- Building test equipment and associated cables to be used on reference assets.
- Assist in upgrade of electronic units returned from the customer
- Test returned units using ATE/STTE
- Equipment specification and selection; and collating equipment attributes to supporting build model and bill of material compilation.
- Supporting system design reviews and model reviews
- The validation of any systems/ equipment, which may include the generation of test schedules, test and integration plans and the writing/investigation of test problem reports
- Schedule own work to meet target timescales and budget demands, including assisting in the creation of low level schedules and task plans
- Drive change to implement efficient and effective strategies as advised by management
- Actively participate in specifying solutions for business needs and contribute to the process of continual improvement, with regard to self, team and systems
- Implement team goals and objectives
- Work well under pressure, be flexible, positive & focused during times of change
- Ensuring that the product will operate safely and reliably in the military operating environment, and can be manufactured cost effectively.
- Preparing drawings, and other technical outputs, consistent with the contractual requirements to meet target dates and budget demands.
- Operating the appropriate CAD and PDM Tools (CADSTAR/ALTIUM and Teamcenter)
The candidate will have ideally been educated to degree level or equivalent in an electrical or electronics engineering discipline with at least 2 years postgraduate experience within an engineering environment, or to HNC level with 4 years relevant experience.
Essential Experience / Skills:
- Electrical/Electronic/Software background on complex engineering projects
- Ability to interpret technical drawings to assist with redesign tasks and fault finding.
- An understanding and familiarity with military and industry standards such as IPC-A-610/771/772
- Working knowledge of MATLAB/ Simulink (or equivalent package)
- Working knowledge of technical office process standards and standard instructions (BMS and LCM).
- Health and Safety awareness, including Product Safety, ESD etc.
Desirable Experience / Skills:
- Experience in obsolescence analysis and management
- Experience in researching and procurement of electronic components
- Experience of an electronics production environment
- Engineering background in Weapons Systems or design for military use.
- Ability to have a positive impact on others and communicate openly and directly to individuals or groups at all levels
- Knowledge of MoD organisations and have experience of direct customer and supplier liaison.
- Proven ability of tackling challenging projects
- Willing to travel within the UK and overseas.