- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Chassis Concept Design Engineer
Chassis Design Engineer - Contract
As a chassis design engineer, the candidate will use Catia V6 to create solutions to realise the product and design requirements for our future vehicles.
The candidate will work with the other team members of the global engineering, design and product functions as required, to generate and present solutions for, and to, management. Allowing the product development team to react quickly.
Each project starts with analysing the portfolio and platforms to create a baseline with target dimensions. The candidate will use a combination of their own creative engineering judgement, their experience, alongside their peers to create initial concept axle schemes which set new benchmarks in user experience, performance requirements and design.
It may be the candidate's responsibility to support and investigate new concepts that require validation, some of which require the team to prove out technology and concepts by carrying out physical testing/analysis and then present the results to show confidence in the design/technology.
- Support the layout vehicle or system concepts to create a robust starting point.
- Conduct virtual technical benchmarking and analysis of competitive vehicles
- Create fully laid out, structured CAD schemes in V6 and concepts to investigate package models
- Establishing Visual BOMs to highlight vehicle concept impacts, backed up with CAD defining C/O vs New strategies
- Work with the global team and balance vehicle and system concepts with performance attributes (such as weight, safety and durability)
- Support team with cost-effective product, manufacturing & assembly recommendations
- Recommend new materials & processes that may be used in creating competitively advantaged products
- Identify potential cost reduction and optimisation opportunities for continuous innovation
- Sharing best practice and market knowledge.
- Ensuring continuity of CAD layouts and PLM data management for future transition to other teams
- Recording and archiving how the concept has evolved in ways that can be presented to various departments
- Improve links between product definition, design and engineering with clear, concise material on studies completed.
- B.Eng or HNC/HND in relevant field for the role (Mechanical Engineering, Product Design or equivalent)
- Candidate must be able demonstrate an appropriate level of expertise in vehicle level architecture.
- Experience/Specialism in Chassis axle layout and kinematics preferred.
- Experience in a start-up would be preferable.
- Ability to be working on a multiple components or systems at one time, balancing workload and prioritising to maintain high output
- Good understanding of mechanical requirements within the automotive industry.
- Strong verbal, written communication skills including PC literacy being at ease with Microsoft 365 and Atlassian products
- Willing to travel to China, Europe and US.
- The ability to maintain the highest standards of confidentiality in all aspects of work
- Demonstrating high levels of personal motivation to join a start-up environment and sees development opportunity in doing so, takes a proactive approach to self-development, naturally self-motivated and ambitious.