- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Using the InTime contractor portal
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Principal Mechanical Design Engineer
As a Mechanical Design Engineer within Sprint Power, you will be involved at all stages of the design and development process. You will liaise directly with customers, and the SP engineering teams.
|As a Mechanical Design Engineer within Sprint Power, you will be involved at all stages of the design and development process. You will liaise directly with customers, and the SP engineering teams, to provide and deliver effective engineering solutions. Responsible for the inception, development and release of mechanical system designs across a broad range of company projects|
Key Aspects of the role
- Creation and development of 3D model-based engineering design solutions.
- Generation of concept, prototype and manufacturing drawings, reports and specifications.
- Liaise with client's contractors and suppliers to ensure development and delivery of designs.
- Support product sourcing, purchasing and selection as required by the design process.
- Ensure project documentation is correctly managed, maintained and released in line with company BMS processes and standards.
- Participate in technical reviews of product designs, requirements and specifications.
- Delivery of engineering tasks in line with project milestones.
- Track, manage and maintain BOM's for mechanical systems and assemblies.
- Assure design feasibility by confirming fabrication, assembly and installation processes.
- Confirm system capabilities by designing testing methods or utilizing analysis tools.
To have an excellent understanding of automotive engineering design practices covering:
- 3D modelling, design, packaging and conceptual digital mock ups.
- The production 2D part, assembly and manufacturing drawings.
- Sound Knowledge of engineering principles, materials selection and manufacturing techniques.
To have a basic knowledge of low carbon electric and hybrid vehicle technologies including:
- Function of vehicle HV batteries, PDU's, inverters, motors and chargers.
- Vehicle powertrain systems, heating and cooling systems.
Health, Safety & Environmental
- Ensures Environmental Health & Safety policy is always adhered to.
- Promotes Environmental Health & Safety awareness.
- Responsible for adhering to EHS procedures & policies to ensure compliance.
Qualifications, Functional Experience & Skills Required
- A degree or similar in engineering.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant industry experience.
- Experience in automotive mechanical systems design and prototype development.
- Ability to produce original innovative cost-effective design solutions.
- Produce drawings and designs adhering to recognized industry standards and practices.
- Sound knowledge of mechanical engineering principles and materials selection.
- Experience in component manufacturing techniques and methods.
- Proven track record in the effective delivery of technical objectives to quality targets and milestones.
- Ideally, experience in electrical harness routing and component packaging.
- Ideally, FEA or CFD knowledge for evaluating theoretical designs.
System or Knowledge
- Advanced capabilities in Microsoft Office and applications.
- Experience of mechanical systems CAD software e.g Catia, Solidworks or similar.
- Previous experience of BMS procedures including ISO9001.
- Self-motivated, creative and adaptive team player.
- Willingness to take on roles, responsibilities and challenges required to achieve company goals and objectives.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Able to Prioritize and organize project workloads, schedules and tasks.
- Strong presentation, report writing and communication skills.
Other Features of job
- Eligible to work in the UK
- This role is based at our Hethel Office, 0900 to 1700, including 30-minute paid break 5 days a week.
- Travel occasionally.