- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Using the InTime contractor portal
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Principal Power Electronics Engineers
We are looking for Principal Hardware Engineers to join the Power Supply Unit (PSU) Core Delivery Team (CDT) at Leonardo in Edinburgh.
Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 7,000 are based in the UK.
The Radar and Advanced Targeting line of business, based in Edinburgh, is uniquely positioned as one of the world's top manufacturers of radars, lasers and infra-red countermeasure systems.
What we can offer you:
- Flexible working: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life through flexible hours and part time options
- Custom working: The role may be a mixture of home based and onsite
- Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual lifestyle goals.
- Network groups : To demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion we have network groups for
- Carers (employees who care for someone who is either older, disabled or seriously ill)
- Enable (supporting people with disabilities)
- Equalise (development of a gender balanced workforce)
- Pride (promoting equality for all LGBTQ+ individuals)
- We also work in partnership with AFBE (Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers).
- Training : Free access to Coursera which provides more than 4,000 online courses
- Continuous Learning : You will be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring
- Investors in People : We are proud recipients of the Investors in People Silver Award
- Employee Assistance Programme : Providing free and confidential mental health support
- Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 12 flexi days
Key Responsibility Areas
The Team provides expert advice, guidance, design and governance throughout the full lifecycle of all projects on site for matters pertaining to Power. As an experienced PSU design engineer, your primary role is to lay the groundwork for the future Power Systems we require in the near and far term. PSU topology analysis and associated new technologies in Energy Storage and Energy Conservation, including limiting the disturbances seen by the Generator, will be key to your and our success in the future. The role includes the need to support ad hoc and emerging power related tasks on the other Projects the PSU CDT are involved in. An overarching understanding of power techniques and the ability to step into a live issue is required.
As a Principal PSU Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Providing technical and managerial support to the Engineering, Project and PSU CDT Management Teams
- Supporting Power CDT for full range of Power System tests including prototyping, design verification and production support.
- Creating and reviewing documentation such as Outsource Procurement Specifications, Statement of Work, Circuit & System Simulations and associated White Papers, Test Reports, Test plans
- Working closely with other CDTs and the Design for EMC Team to create Earth & Grounding diagrams, EMC Plans and Design Stage Review material.
- Knowledge sharing with the other members of the PSU CDT.
- Providing design and domain knowledge support to Projects, CDTs, Suppliers, Workshare Partners and Customers.
- Reviewing of System Requirements and partitioning into Power System Requirements. Sub-partitioning into SRI Requirements
- Providing support to other members of the CDT, including schematic capture, component selection and de-rating and simulation of power supply circuitry.
- PSU Topology Analysis
- Reviewing of current and emerging Energy Storage materials
- Reviewing of current and emerging Energy Conservation techniques.
- Reviewing of how the Power System impacts the performance of the Generator
This is a great opportunity to bring your talents and form an integral part of Leonardo's future. We can help you develop your skills and offer great opportunities to develop and grow, so why not join us.
You will ideally have experience and knowledge in the following areas:
- Design, manufacture, test, integration of PSUs and or Power Systems
- ACDC and or DCDC switched mode power supply design.
- Experience with Mentor Graphics, Simetrix or LT Spice.
- You shall be familiar with a recognised Schematic and Simulation toolset.
- Fault diagnosis to component level
- Electrical power systems.
- Electrical safety (RF safety is a 'nice to have').
We are relentless about inclusion. We understand an inclusive environment is one that welcomes everyone as they are. We see diversity as a strength. We still have some way to go to achieving diverse teams across our whole business. We would like you to be part of our journey to creating that better balance and welcome applications from all individuals from all walks of life as we build a stronger company together.