- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Using the InTime contractor portal
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Tooling Design Engineer
If you'd like to see your career 'take off' with a great aerospace company that's going places, why not consider Hamble Aerostructures? Our client is looking for a talented tooling engineer to join their growing team.
Tooling Engineer has accountability for the design and delivery of new tooling, supporting the ongoing maintenance and control of all sustaining tooling, development of tooling process and approaches whilst taking due consideration of any contractual obligations imposed by the customer.
- Ensure processes contribute to a safe working environment and meet EHS requirements and KPIs. Actively lead / support EHS projects and pursuits.
- Manage and develop approved suppliers base to support projects, tool design and/or manufacturing requirements.
- Specify and procure new equipment and tooling to meet production and quality requirements with an emphasis on delivering tooling that supports in-process inspection, process improvements and lean manufacturing.
- Review assess and critique supplier proposals to ensure most effective solution can be obtained, considerate of safety, cost, delivery and capability. Where appropriate leverage on site skills outside of direct team to support these assessments.
- Manage the internal or external repair of tooling assets as necessary.
- Fully support internal design and manufacturing engineers on NPI projects as required, including preparation of ROM tool costings to support any new bid activity.
- Define, enable and implement proactive systems in alignment with AS9145 framework (e.g. process capability analysis, SPC, PFMEA, capacity planning and error proofing etc.) strategically across function and applied on critical parts/processes to reduce the potential of failure.
- Maintain governance across tooling assets, in alignment with customer requirement.
- Support/lead customer audits as required.
- Troubleshoot shop issues, lead tooling investigations and implement RCCA where appropriate.
- Participate in local and site wide initiatives and projects as required.
- Strong Interpersonal and influencing skills, including stakeholder management.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments & priorities and achieve results.
- Strong organisational skills with a high attention to detail.
- Highly effective problem-solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Detailed understanding of GD&T, limits & fits, with strong assembly and detail manufacturing knowledge in both metallic and composite products
- In depth understanding of Interchangeability (ICY) philosophies and their implementation and importance to processes and customer requirements.
- Ability to read engineering drawings and interpret specifications.
- Proficiency in Microsoft (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Degree in Engineering / Technical discipline or equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Strong project management skills
- Tool design experience preferably gained within an aerospace manufacturing environment.
- Competent with the use of CAD software, Catia V5 conversant preferred.
- Positive approach to challenging situations
- Prepared to travel within the UK and overseas to meet the customer and/or our suppliers.
- In-depth knowledge of emerging technologies, including digital tools, relevant to the aviation industry and on-site processes
This role will be subject to baseline security clearance.