- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Using the InTime contractor portal
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Principal Engineer - Systems
Matchtech is currently recruiting for a Principal Engineer - Systems (Integration, Validation and Verification) on behalf of a large MOD contractor.
Principal Engineer - Systems (Integration, Validation and Verification) 12-month contract - Barrow - £64.44p/h Umbrella or £48.32 p/h PAYE (Inside IR35)
The Principal Engineer - Systems:
- will be able to apply their subject matter expertise and domain experience to support their team in delivering systems and products to the submarine design, build and through-life support programmes. They will provide subject matter expertise and advice to other functional and capability areas to support overall project delivery and performance.
- shall have a good understanding of the relevant maritime legislation, industry and defence standards. They will understand the customer and user needs of the product system and how this will influence and impact design activities, technical and operational performance.
- will be able to understand and report the programme status for engineering activities, identify problem areas and implement recovery plans. This will include the management of any consequent change embodiment activities.
- will have a working knowledge of major developments and changes in Systems Engineering across industry and academia and be aware of the direction of potential future technologies relevant to their team.
- shall utilise their knowledge and experience to lead, undertake and, develop others in activities including but not limited to:
- Systems Integration
- System Architecting
- Design For Requirements
- Definition and Management
- Verification and or Validation
- Qualification design
All of this works will be conducted safely and to a high level of Quality through the correct application of business process, discipline best practice and suitable use of toolsets.
- Provide specialist knowledge and subject matter expertise in the development of Submarine systems. Be able to define the systems architecture, components, interfaces and data to enable the development and production of the component sub systems. Understand and articulate the impact of their system of interest on other areas of the submarine platform.
- Ensure design proving evidence is comprehensive, captured within the requirements management tools and has been endorsed by the appropriate level of authority.
- Understand and support the flow-down of requirements to suppliers and acceptance of their specific deliverables, ensuring it is captured and recorded appropriately.
- Support the development of estimates for the scope of work and resources required to deliver it to support bids, proposal development and project planning activities from a systems' engineering perspective.
- Provide technical support to integrated performance and acceptance activities, including acceptance of equipment from suppliers through to system acceptance by the customer.
- Support the documentation of domain knowledge and be to pass on information and expertise to help grow the knowledge base within appropriate business teams.
- Provide technical guidance to other engineers and support the engineering management team in planning and controlling specialist activities.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
- The Principal Engineer - Systems will be responsible for, or provide input to the following typical key deliverables, dependent on the role and the place the project is in the engineering lifecycle:
- Capture and agreed technical requirements in accordance with company and programme processes.
- Deliver compliant technical solutions against contractual requirements and regulations.
- Deliver design documentation generated, captured, configured and controlled in accordance with company processes.
- Deliver design change requirements and documentation generated, captured, configured and controlled in accordance with company processes.
- Provide engineering LCM adherence for all deliverables, Subcontract Design Reviews and relevant input to project LCM activities.
- Provide engineering Lifecycle Management (LCM) adherence for all deliverables, Subcontract Design Reviews and relevant input to project LCM activities.
- Provide specialist technical input, review and support into projects beyond immediate scope as an independent thereof
- Leverage systems experience and knowledge in both the tactical and strategic development of other engineers and relevant members of other supporting functions.
SUBJECT KNOWLEDGE and QUALIFICATIONS
- Significant knowledge and expertise of Systems Engineering process and practices in the defence, maritime or closely linked industry and the correct recognition of the context of their work within the overall product.
- Knowledge of the engineering lifecycle with experience of operating in the phase relevant to the role and awareness of the entire engineering lifecycle.
- The technical understanding of the context of their work within the overall product and platform/programme.
- A strong understanding of other related project, product, programme, domain, discipline and functional teams of submarines or equivalent external bodies.
- A strong working understanding of Product Safety and SHE