- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Using the InTime contractor portal
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Project Engineering Manager
Leonardo has a fantastic opportunities for Project Engineering Managers - begin your career with us, working on the most exciting projects within Defence!
Leonardo has a fantastic opportunity for a Project Engineering Manager on a permanent basis at our modern and purpose-built Luton (Capability Green) site. The Project Engineering Manager will need to be a talented and experienced Engineering Leader, familiar with working on complex electronic (ideally RF-based) sensor systems. The Project Engineering Manager will have hands-on experience of leading multi-discipline engineering projects across the engineering lifecycle, managing a diverse range of stakeholder needs and requirements to achieve the desired outcome.
This Project Engineering Manager role is within the Surveillance & Protection Technology (S&PT) business group, and will focus on the supporting the production of its RF detection and self-protection solutions featuring advanced Electronic Surveillance and Countermeasure (ESM/ECM) technologies and techniques, that can be applied to rotary and fixed-wing airborne platforms operating in increasingly complex and hostile environments. In addition, the Project Engineering Manager will work with the Head of Engineering Projects for S&PT to help deliver improvements to engineering efficiency, cost effectiveness and on time delivery.
What you will do
Lead all aspects of Engineering for an IPT to:
- Manage multi-disciplined Engineering teams, ensuring that roles within the teams are clearly defined
- Establish and maintain good lines of communication across the Engineering IPT and upwards to the IPT lead and Head of Engineering Projects
- Ensure management of the Engineering technical quality, schedule and budget
- Support the management of Suppliers and project Make or Buy decisions as required
- Manage upward reporting and management of Customer expectations in line with agreed solution
- Control project configuration and change management particularly with regard to design baselines and production build standards
- Identify technical risks and mitigation strategies e.g. with test solutions or obsolescence
- Ensure that the design rationale is documented where change is required
- Input to Material Review Boards and Failure Review Boards
- Ensure concession management - ensuring effective closure plans are in place and enacted
- Input to the Project Cost Review Board (PCRB) process for UPC management
- Ensure effective implementation of the company's Life-cycle design reviews
Work with the Head of Engineering Projects, VP Engineering and Engineering Functions to:
- Ensure the delivery of development plans for S&PT Engineering staff to increase capability and Engineering efficiency
- Oversee the outsourcing of Engineering work packages across S&PT to increase engineering cost effectiveness and schedule adherence
- Ensure effective plans are in place across S&PT in conjunction with the Head of Planning to ensure timely reporting of issues to allow resolution of the Engineering delivery within the IPT
What we are looking for
You really must have:
- Good understanding of a range of electronics technologies from dc to light
- Degree qualified (or equivalent)
- Good problem solving ability
- Good schedule and budget control
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Commercially aware
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders
- Strong leadership competency but also can demonstrate team working skills
- Knowledge of engineering life-cycle and business process.
It would be nice if you had:
- Good understanding of RF systems with ESM and ECM
- Experience of working in the defence electronics sector, ideally with airborne sensor systems.
- Experience of working with UK MOD (e.g. RAF, DSTL, DE&S)
- An understanding of the deployment of airborne military platforms, systems and operation within the enterprise environment.
- An understanding of radar-guided surface-to-air missile systems, and other radar-based threats.
- Chartered Engineer status, or a member of a professional engineering institution.