Find your future role
Engineer III (Substation - Physical Design)
The successful candidate will provide technical expertise, guidance, and supervision to the engineering and design team, and will be responsible for delivering safe, cost-effective, and quality engineering and design services.
Key skills required for this role
Substation, Utility, Engineering, Power Delivery, Physical Design, Protection and Control, Transmission Lines, High Voltage,
Remote, Substation, Utility Power, Engineering, Power Delivery, Physical Design, Protection and Control, Transmission Lines, High Voltage
- Provide substation (physical) engineering, technical support, and supervision to the engineering and design team for the purpose of delivering safe, cost-effective, and quality engineering and design services.
- Provide technical competency and direction on complex engineering and technical problems for a wide range of utility substation projects, including battery energy storage systems and solar collector substations.
- Lead discipline work for projects, perform responsible charge engineering duties, and manage project schedules and budgets.
- Support proposal development, project cost estimating as well as supporting business development efforts.
- Understand and create substation physical arrangement drawing packages for construction.
- Monitor deliverables, schedules, and present solutions to the client.
- Interact with customer's internal engineers and technical personnel on a day-to-day basis.
- Effectively plan, organize, estimate, schedule, and monitor work activities.
- Produce thorough, timely, and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations, and sketches.
- Continuously improve job-related engineering, technical, and professional knowledge, skills, and performance.
- Bachelor's degree from an ABET accredited four-year college or university in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Structural). Engineering Technology degree requires a passed FE Exam.
- 5-7 years of experience as an Engineer with the electrical industry in the field of power delivery.
- Ability to work in-office/on-site.
- PE (required for remote)
- Advanced understanding of substation design to include equipment arrangements, lightning protection, grounding, lighting, equipment specifics, and substation construction as it applies to utility substation and transmission line equipment facilities.
- Understanding of basic needs of Protection and Control and Civil/Structural discipline as they apply to utility substation and transmission lines.
- Create substation physical design project scopes, estimates, budgets, and schedules for substation projects.
- Ability to read and interpret all parts of a physical design for utility stations through 500kV - including substation arrangements, sections, and elevations, foundation and grading plans, lighting plans and details, fence plans and details, grounding plans and details, rigid bus designs, strain bus designs, below grade designs to include duct banks and cable trenches, single phase transformer banks, bus and equipment support structures, as well as a fundamental understanding of circuit arrangements into and out of a substation.
- Thorough understanding of the installation requirements of high voltage transformers, group operated disconnect switches, breakers, PTs, CVTs, line turners, surge arresters, and other equipment within the substation.
- Ability to understand and create grounding designs is strongly desired.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis without requiring future sponsorship for employment visa status.
If you meet the requirements and are interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume for consideration.