Find your future role
Senior Design Engineer
Are you design engineering focussed with composites experience? Are you motivated to work within an aerospace design and manufacturing environment?
Key skills required for this role
design process, analysis
Senior Design Engineer
Hamble Aerostructures, part of the Aernnova group of companies, are a leading aerostructures organisation specialising in the design, manufacturing and services of aerostructures and components such as wings, empennages and fuselage sections
We are looking for a talented Senior Design Engineer who is performance driven to join a growing global team which is highly committed to our customers
Reporting to the Design Manager, the Senior Design Engineer will be responsible for the design of composite and metallic components, and sub-assemblies primarily focused on Aerostructures development programs. The position will also be responsible to provide, where necessary, support to manufacturing for concessions, modifications and QNs working on metallic and composite components as well as assemblies. The position has the potential to be involved in R&D programs as well as NPI, particularly in the field of advance manufacturing of composite structures.
Will include but is not limited to:
- Working as part of or leading a team designing fibre-reinforced composite components, metallic components and sub-assemblies which ensure structural integrity of an airframe product.
- Optimise design solutions to meet customer and internal design requirements while also delivering to weight and cost targets.
- Responsible for the delivery of design schemes, 3D models and detail drawings in accordance with the project schedule and allocated budget, throughout the product development process.
- Provide checking/reviewing expertise of peer group composite design solutions to enable formal part approval.
- Independently generate design reports to support component qualification and certification.
- Prepare and present design data at internal / external design reviews.
- Mentor less experience members of the design team.
- Work in conjunction with other technical disciplines, manufacturing and suppliers.
- Provide design support to Manufacturing by clearing 'day to day' problems.
- Support/lead on-going continuous improvement initiatives and design processes.
- Plan tasks independently, taking into consideration wider goals of team and group.
- Identify, communicate and highlight technical risks within tasks and projects. Derive mitigation strategies and effectively manage.
- Communicate effectively progress of tasks and projects, highlighting issues and opportunities at the earliest opportunity and promote best practice.
- The role may require you to work at other UK and overseas based sites.
- Degree/HNC in Engineering or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Significant relevant design experience within an aerospace structural engineering environment, covering design of metallic and composite structures in civil or military aerospace applications
- Significant experience of aircraft production methods and processes
- Significant experience of fibre-reinforced composite material technology and behaviour
- Experience of metallic and composite component concession and repair solutions
- Familiar with airworthiness requirements and EASA certification (Part 21, CS-25 etc)
- Demonstrable experience performing approved checker role
- Demonstrable experience of decision making in a Multi-Functional Team environment
- Experience of Geometrical Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Strong leadership skills & experience in technical, estimating, planning, resourcing and delivery activities
- The ability to work in a high-pressure environment, whilst maintaining engineering integrity
- Self-motivated individual, able to work from own initiative
- Good teamwork, communication and presentation skills
- Literate with Microsoft Office tools, Excel / Word / Project
- Strong working knowledge of Catia V5 including CPD
- Experience of designing aircraft wing fibre-reinforced structural panels
- Demonstratable experience of structural analysis of aircraft structures
- Knowledge of A350 PLM software
- Knowledge of 3DX, NX and Teamcentre software
- Knowledge of Catia V4 software
- Knowledge of the Airbus development & configuration processes
- Previous experience working on the Airbus A350 program
- Enthusiasm for learning new technologies and leading process change
What you will get from Hamble Aerostructures
Code of Ethics expresses who Hamble Aerostructures are: A competitive and profitable company that conducts business in an ethical framework of commitment to employees, customers, suppliers, shareholders, communities and institutions.
Hamble Aerostructures actively promotes environmental protection in their designs, considering the environmental impact throughout the product life cycle and through continuous improvement of its products and processes
Benefits of working for Hamble Aerostructures include:
- 26-days holiday as standard (plus the ability to buy/sell holiday)
- 10% employer pension contribution
- Life cover
- Private medical health care (after 2-years of service)
- Discounted Costco membership
- Onsite parking
- Onsite gym and restaurant
Role is subject to security clearance.