Find your future role
Senior/Principal Power Engineer
Begin your career with Leonardo, working on the most exciting projects within Defence!
Key skills required for this role
Electronics, Hardware, PCB, Defence, Power
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5-year UK residency.
At Leonardo, we are looking for a Power Engineer (PSU) at Senior or Principal Level to join us in Edinburgh. Leonardo are a world-class defence Technology Company. We develop cutting edge Radars for the Eurofighter Typhoon and SAAB Gripen fighter jets, as well as Maritime and Airborne surveillance systems. We are also investors in innovation, undertaking all our own research to fuel our future products. We are recruiting talented, motivated engineers to join our growing Electronics team.
The PSU & EMC CDT Team (Core Delivery Team) provides expert advice, guidance, design and governance throughout the full lifecycle of all projects on site for matters pertaining to Power. As an experienced PSU design engineer, your primary role is to lay the groundwork for the future Power Systems we require in the near and far term. PSU topology analysis and associated new technologies in Energy Storage and Energy Conservation, including limiting the disturbances seen by the Generator, will be key to your and our success in the future. The role includes the need to support ad hoc and emerging power related tasks on the other Projects the PSU CDT are involved in. An overarching understanding of power techniques and the ability to step into a live issue is required.
What you will do
As a Senior/Principal PSU Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Providing technical and managerial support to the Engineering, Project and PSU CDT Management Teams
- Supporting PSU & EMC CDT for full range of Power System tests including prototyping, design verification and production support.
- Creating and reviewing documentation such as Outsource Procurement Specifications, Statement of Work, Circuit & System Simulations and associated White Papers, Test Reports, Test plans
- Working closely with other CDTs and the Design for EMC Team to create Earth & Grounding diagrams, EMC Plans and Design Stage Review material.
- Knowledge sharing with the other members of the PSU & EMC.
- Providing design and domain knowledge support to Projects, CDTs, Suppliers, Workshare Partners and Customers.
- Reviewing of System Requirements and partitioning into Power System Requirements. Sub-partitioning into SRI Requirements
- Providing support to other members of the CDT, including schematic capture, component selection and de-rating and simulation of power supply circuitry.
- PSU Topology Analysis
- Reviewing of current and emerging Energy Storage materials
- Reviewing of current and emerging Energy Conservation techniques.
- Reviewing of how the Power System impacts the performance of the Generator
- Playing an active role in the on-going process improvement initiatives within the team and knowledge sharing of Power related topics across the wider business.
What we are looking for
You will ideally have experience and knowledge in the following areas:
- Design, manufacture, test, integration of PSUs and or Power Systems
- ACDC and or DCDC switched mode power supply design.
- Low noise conversion techniques
- Experience with Mentor Graphics, Simetrix or LT Spice.
- You shall be familiar with a recognised Schematic and Simulation toolset.
- Fault diagnosis to component level
- Electrical power systems.
- Electrical safety (RF safety is a 'nice to have').
- Measurement & Instrumentation systems.
- You should be familiar with Microsoft Office and Visio
- MS Project and Work Package Management
What we can offer you:
- Flexible working: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life through flexible hours and part time options
- Custom working: The role may be a mixture of home based and onsite
- Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual lifestyle goals.
- Network groups : To demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion we have network groups for
- Carers (employees who care for someone who is either older, disabled or seriously ill)
- Enable (supporting people with disabilities)
- Equalise (development of a gender balanced workforce)
- Pride (promoting equality for all LGBTQ+ individuals)
- We also work in partnership with AFBE (Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers).
- Training : Free access to Coursera which provides more than 4,000 online courses
- Continuous Learning : You will be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring
- Investors in People : We are proud recipients of the Investors in People Silver Award
- Employee Assistance Programme : Providing free and confidential mental health support
- Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 12 flexi days