Find your future role
Senior/Principal RF Engineer
Begin your career with Leonardo, working on the most exciting projects within Defence!
Key skills required for this role
Electronics, Hardware, RF, Microwave, PCB, Defence
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5-year UK residency.
At Leonardo, we are looking for an RF Engineer at Senior or Principal Level to join our team in Edinburgh. Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 7,000 are based in the UK. We are recruiting talented, motivated engineers to join our growing Electronics team.
In addition to the flexible working patterns offered by Leonardo's custom working initiative, this role is also available on a part time basis.
What you will do
This is an exciting opportunity for you as an engineer to bring your skillset and knowledge into our working environment. You will be involved in developing a range of multifunctional RF, PCB and Module designs using the latest technologies available and enhancing your understanding of key design and manufacture processes.
As an RF/Microwave engineer, you will be responsible for;
- Full hardware lifecycle for our products: from system concept, through detailed design and prototyping, test and verification, system integration and support in production.
- Creating high quality and robust designs, conducting design reviews for your design, fully documenting and recording your work products, keeping them under configuration management and providing plans and progress reports.
- Developing a range of multifunctional RF PCB and Module designs using the latest technologies available and enhancing your understanding of key design and manufacture processes.
- Designing to test, creating test prototypes for design validation, verification of development models and support for production test.
- Carrying out all detail design activities from requirements capture to design verification.
- Ensuring design reviews are completed successfully.
- Preparing robust manufacturing data packs and provide technical support to sub-contracts and engineering interface with manufacturing.
- Working closely with Systems, Test and Electronics engineers you will be solving real integration problems on advanced systems
What we are looking for
You will ideally have experience in the following areas;
- Microwave PCB materials & design techniques.
- RF Microwave Sub-System Design.
- Microwave design tools - e.g. AWR, VSS, ADS, Systemvue, Matlab.
- EM 3D and 2D simulation techniques - e.g. CST.
- GaAs/GaN MMIC design and application
- RF Synthesiser design, using DDS and PLL technologies
- RF downconverter and digitiser design
- Design of passive microwave structures.
- Low phase noise design and measurement
- Non-linear circuit simulation.
- PCB schematic capture tools - e.g. Mentor.
- Lab measurements such as signal generation, spectrum analysis and vector network analysis
- Microwave component selection.
- Requirements capture and management.
- Technical report writing
- Design reviews and life-cycle management
Design for manufacture and cost.
This role requires you to have achieved a first or second degree (BSc, BEng, MEng, MSc, PhD, EngD) in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (preferable) or related science (e.g. Physics).
What we can offer you:
- Flexible working: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life through flexible hours and part time options
- Custom working: The role may be a mixture of home based and onsite
- Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual lifestyle goals.
- Network groups : To demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion we have network groups for
- Carers (employees who care for someone who is either older, disabled or seriously ill)
- Enable (supporting people with disabilities)
- Equalise (development of a gender balanced workforce)
- Pride (promoting equality for all LGBTQ+ individuals)
- We also work in partnership with AFBE (Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers).
- Training : Free access to Coursera which provides more than 4,000 online courses
- Continuous Learning : You will be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring
- Investors in People : We are proud recipients of the Investors in People Silver Award
- Employee Assistance Programme : Providing free and confidential mental health support
- Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 12 flexi days