Find your future role
Senior/Principal Mechanical Development Engineer
|Location||Leamington Spa, England|
|Job type||Contract 6 months|
You will work with OEM, suppliers and other teams to test, analyse and improve powertrain designs, vehicle systems and diagnostics. You may work solo or in a cross-functional and international team.
Key skills required for this role
Development Engineer required to work on Powertrain focused projects
Ricardo are expanding the mechanical development capability in the U.K requiring engineers that will be based at our Shoreham or Midlands facility but who are also flexible to work at other Ricardo sites and at customer locations in the U.K.(for a pre-agreed period of time if the project requires it).
The role will require an understanding in automotive components, systems and associated vehicle parts. Understanding of transmission operation would also be beneficial. The job will require close co-operation with OEM, suppliers and test, design and analysis areas to define appropriate testing plans, analyse results and make recommendations for design changes on either new power train designs, vehicle interface systems or fault diagnostics projects. Projects may involve working alone or part of a cross-functional and possibly international team.
Ideally a minimum of 8 years product development experience
Your main task responsibilities could include using the following key tools :
- Team management
- Proposal preparation
- Understanding of the product development process for powertrains & transmissions
- System and component specifications
- Rig and System validation testing
- Instrumentation and data capture
- DVP's (Design Validation Plans)
- Structured problem solving i.e 8D, DAMAIC process etc
- Test procedure preparation and release
- Post test teardown and inspection
- Metrology skills
- An understanding of component manufacture, supplier liaison and design release process are also beneficial
- Preparation and execution of component, system, engine and vehicle testing either at Ricardo or on off site with the customer:
- Specialist instrumentation
- Prototype component manufacture
- Component and system functional and durability test rigs
- Functionality and durability engine dynamometer tests
- Functionality and durability vehicle tests
- Investigations and technical reporting to respond to customer powertrain enquiries on current and advanced technology on component or engine systems.
- Preparation of work proposals and project planning activities.
- Interfacing with engineering teams and specialists.
A good Engineering degree is preferential but not essential.
Professional and Personal Experience
As well as a strong ability to apply of fundamental engineering principles. Relevant experience in the automotive engineering industry and in the field of mechanical development is essential. Initiative and interpersonal skills are essential, as are strong written communication, PC and presentation skills.
- Technical task management of projects and engineers
- Broad engineering knowledge of powertrain systems
- Supplier management
- Can work on client's site / willing to travel
- Ability to coordinate and understand information from multiple engineering departments
- Understand engineering drawings
- Experience of fault finding techniques used in the Automotive industry
- Good project management skills
- Understanding of CAE and CFD techniques
- Understanding of engine component and system design gasoline and Diesel engines with a basic knowledge of transmission operation
- Good presentation and reporting skills.