Find your future role
Mechanical Systems Engineers
|Location||Leamington Spa, England|
|Job type||Contract 6 months|
An opportunity exists within the Development group of Ricardo Automotive & Industrial for a Systems Engineer to work on a diverse range of mechanical engineering projects.
Key skills required for this role
To deliver systems from concept to production as follows:
- Prepare Engineering Specifications to define requirements in terms of performance, durability, cost, weight, etc
- Working with the wider engineering team, take responsibility for coordinating the design, analysis and development activities for a given system or systems
- Manage the system DFMEA and DVP to ensure the system is robust
- Progress the design through the project gateways to ensure that parts are released to support DVP activities and meet production timing
- Manage suppliers of components for prototypes, development and production, including hosting meetings and issuing meeting minutes
- Problem solving and issue resolution to maintain the project timing
- Work to agreed quality procedures and validation processes
- Presenting clear and reasoned status reports to internal and external customers
- Occasional support to sales teams in the development of market opportunities through client interaction and proposal support
Required Qualifications and Experience:
BEng degree at 2:1 grade or higher is preferred although other qualifications will be considered.
The successful applicant will have experience in most of the following:
- Previous system or component ownership responsibility
- Experience in a similar role (i.e. PMST, CPMT, Module Leader, Component Engineer, Application Engineer, etc)
- Design and release of components and systems through to production
- Preparing Design FMEAs
- Testing and development of prototype systems through to production
- Supplier management and customer interaction
- Experience of working on mechanical engineering technologies, that may include: IC Engine systems (Base engine, air handling, fuel injection, pumps, etc), Electric Drive Units, Hydrogen Fuel Cells
- An awareness of, or direct experience in the following:
- Supplier Quality Assurance activities, including APQP, PPAP, PFMEA, etc.
- Manufacturing and production engineering
- knowledge of Marine certification would be beneficial
Experience in some or all of the following: Component releasing, reading and using engineering drawings, FMEA, DVP, Design & Development, SQA, APQP & PPAP, 8D type problem solving, CAD visualisation tools, BOM or ETRS, supplier management.
Excellent PC skills required.
Good report writing and presentation skills are essential.
You will be comfortable in meeting environments, and be able to deliver clear status updates, based upon robust planning and technical understanding. You will be able to coordinate and understand information from multiple engineering functions.
You will be a motivated self-starter who manages their time and takes pride in engineering good solutions to complex problems. In this customer facing position, a professional outlook, good communication ability, the ability to meet commitments and drive to 'go the extra mile' when needed, will lead to a rewarding career at Ricardo. Additional attributes include:
- Collaborative team player
- Professional appearance and behaviours
- Good written and oral communication ability
- Good attention to detail
- Reliable - able to meet deadlines and commitments
- Able to work under pressure, managing large amounts of information
You should have a full driving license and when required, be prepared to travel in the UK and abroad (whilst respecting any COVID restrictions or guidance).
Knowledge of one or more mechanical systems, having previously managed components from concept to production.
With a solid technical background in Mechanical Engineering, flexibility in applying engineering knowledge would be a key advantage - thus being capable to work on the diverse range of exciting projects that exist in Ricardo, spanning Hybrids and electrified vehicles through to complex supercar transmissions and clean-sheet vehicle programmes.