Find your future role
Chief Antenna Engineer
At Leonardo, we have a fantastic opportunity for a Chief Antenna Engineer to join us in Edinburgh!
Key skills required for this role
Antenna Measurements experience
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5 - year UK residency.
We have a brilliant opportunity to join our team in Radar and Advanced Targeting (RATS) Uniquely positioned as one of the world's top manufacturers of radars, lasers and infrared countermeasure systems!
We are looking for the Chief Antenna Engineer to be the RATS formal Design Authority for all our antenna measurements and characterisation activities in Edinburgh. This senior role will ensure we continue to maintain our world-leading capability to measure and analyse complex antenna technologies. As global leaders in defence electronics and delivers mission critical systems for situational awareness, electronic warfare and surveillance across land, sea and air.
What can the role offer?
Our Antenna Group is our centre of excellence for antenna design, innovation and characterisation. Half of the group is focused on research and development; the other half provide specialist support to enable antenna experimentation, measurement and characterisation.
This critical role spans both current and future technology development:
- Production assurance (current)- Oversight of the formal qualification and acceptance of all production antennas to that will be integrated into our end products;
- Research and Development (future) - Characterisation of innovative antenna prototypes to inform the design of next generation antenna technology
A key objective for the Chief Antenna Engineer will be to transform our facilities and processes to enable increased automation at both the measurement and analysis stages.
What will you do?
Reporting to the Chief Antenna Specialist in the Antenna Group, your key responsibilities will be to Production and Research and Development, as below:
- Act as Design Authority in the formal qualification of all production antennas across our radar product range
- Ensure test processes are robust and complete to meet customer/acceptance requirements
- Input into product Engineering Management Plans to ensure testing and acceptance processes adhere to company standards
- Define, own and adapt antenna measurement test procedures and ensure engineers have the support and experience to enact them
- Ensure our antenna measurement facilities, procedures and practices remain compliant with mandatory and company safety standards
- Define, own and adapt data analysis procedures to enable increased automation and throughput
Research and Development:
Work closely with the Chief Antenna Engineer (R&D) to define the test methodology for new and novel antenna designs at an early stage
- Identify new techniques and measurement technologies that are needed to support future product development and qualification
- Maintain awareness of product development roadmaps and technology trends
- Develop roadmaps on how our facilities and capabilities need to adapt to ensure they are fit for purpose to support future antenna technology design and development
This role will require strong, demonstrable skills in:
- Technical leadership
- Attention to detail
- Leading and supporting others
- Strategic thinking
- Stakeholder management
What we can offer you:
Flexible working: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life through flexible hours and part-time options.
Custom working: The role may be a mixture of home-based and onsite.
Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual lifestyle goals.
Network groups: To demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion we have network groups for Carers (employees who care for someone who is either older, disabled or seriously ill)
- Enable (supporting people with disabilities)
- Equalise (development of a gender-balanced workforce)
- Pride (promoting equality for all LGBTQ+ individuals)
- We also work in partnership with AFBE (Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers).
Training: Free access to Coursera which provides more than 4,000 online courses.
Continuous Learning: You will be supported in your ongoing professional development through training and mentoring.
Investors in People: We are proud recipients of the Investors in People Silver Award
Employee Assistance Programme: Providing free and confidential mental health support.
Annual leave: We offer 25 days of holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 12 flexi days.
You must be eligible for full Security Clearance (SC), with the possibility of pursuing Developed Vetting security clearance. You will require access to caveated information such as UK eyes only and controlled information such as ITAR.