Find your future role
Machine Learning Engineer
We are building a diverse AI/ML and data team to explore new use cases to enhance our leading sensor products. Exploring and exploiting a wide variety of cutting-edge AI/ML techniques that utilise our extensive library of unique data assets.
Key skills required for this role
Machine Learning, Deep learning,
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5 - year UK residency.
Who are Leonardo? We are a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 7,000 are UK-based. The Radar and Advanced Targeting line of business is uniquely positioned as one of the world's top manufacturers of radars, lasers and infrared countermeasure systems.
- Have you experienced applying AI/ML within indusrty to solve real world problems?
- Do you have the curiosity and resilience to go beyond the obvious AI/ML applications?
- Do you have the ingenuity and drive to strive for 10x faster, 10x simpler, 10x more scalable?
- Would you thrive in a collaborative environment where a wide variety of AI/ML techniques are exploited on a daily basis?
Then we want to speak to you! You don't need to be a sensor expert. What we are looking for is an ability to use and exploit AI/ML techniques to find new solutions to complex problems.
Your work may be exploited into:
- The radar for the Typhoon and SAAB Gripen fighter jets
- Our family of Surveillance AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Array) radars
- An IRCM (Infra-Red Counter Measures) system
- Our laser target designator or laser ranging systems
We work with domain experts from across the UK that are supportive of talented and innovative engineers who come from a diverse range of backgrounds, such as fundamental science, finance, semiconductor, data, chemistry, image processing, and mechanical engineering.to identify where the latest AI/ML techniques can make a difference. Techniques in active development include (but not limited to):
- Object Detection and Tracking.
- Transfer Learning
- Federated learning: to rapidly exploit new data even when it is distributed or owned by different organisations
- ML Architecture: we are constantly evaluating and comparing different ML techniques to find novel combinations that can displace legacy solutions and optimise human/machine teaming.
We are recruiting for Junior to senior positions from a variety of backgrounds and skillsets. Based upon your skills and foundation knowledge, we will assess where your knowledge and skills would best fit and discuss the options with you.
Typical work you might be involved in:
- Preparation and evaluation of pre-production AI/ML solutions - gauge the art of the possible
- Rapid prototyping of ML/AI solutions and comparison to legacy techniques.
- MLOPS, failure investigation and data management to support continuous deployment
- Review of ML datasets and algorithms to minimise bias and overfit
- Feature selection and problem framing
- Optimisation, augmentation, hyper-parameter tuning, pruning, quantization
- Help contribute to our technology scanner that supports quick investigation of new tools, technologies and AI solutions that might disrupt our stack
- Edge implementation: The optimisation of solutions so that we can run training and inference efficiently on the edge by exploiting Cuda and other technologies.
- Contributing to AI/ML governance and automated compliance checking.
Dependent on experience and ability, you may lead technical activities and initiatives, or you may mentor and coach other engineers.
What will you get?
Working with exceptional engineers, developing the skills and knowledge required to achieve your technical and professional goals. Our working environment is fast-paced but relaxed, and we value the expertise of our engineers and work to ensure they have the autonomy and confidence to make decisions - your perspective and ideas are unique and valued.
- Flexible working: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life through flexible hours and part time options
- Custom working: The role may be a mixture of home based and onsite
- Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual lifestyle goals.
- Network groups: To demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion we have network groups
- Training: Free access to Coursera which provides more than 4,000 online courses
- Continuous Learning: You will be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring
- Investors in People: We are proud recipients of the Investors in People Gold Award
- Employee Assistance Programme: Providing free and confidential mental health support
- Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 12 flexi days