Find your future role
Senior Test Equipment Engineer
We are looking to recruit an experienced Mechanical Engineer with a background in dimensional calibration and metrology.
Key skills required for this role
Test Equipment, Optical Measurement, Laser Tracker, Calibration, Production, Lab Measurements
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5-year UK residency.
Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 7,000 are based in the UK. The Radar and Advanced Targeting line of business is uniquely positioned as one of the world's top manufacturers of radars, lasers and infrared countermeasure systems.
In this role you will design and develop complex test solutions and will be working as part of a multi-disciplined team with responsibility across the full Engineering Lifecycle from requirements capture to final delivery. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to join a highly skilled team at a time of significant growth.
This role will be required to be on site in Edinburgh, we are happy to have a chat if you are from further afield and will require support to be based in this area.
To find out about all of our Company benefits please visit our careers page
What you will do
We are looking to recruit an experienced Mechanical Engineer with a background in dimensional calibration and metrology. This role will be on-site based working within a Lab/Shop Floor environment. You will provide an engineering service to the Customer Support and Services Solutions for Radar and Advanced Targeting business units.
Typical responsibilities include:
- Delivering an effective support service to the various users of Test Equipment across the Edinburgh site ensuring that calibration and maintenance activities are executed in a manner that maximises availability of the equipment in the Production Halls and Engineering Labs.
- Liaising with Operational Team Leads to plan and schedule Lab and inline calibration activities.
- Insure all laboratory primary standard's under your control are within their calibration due date and traceable to national standards
- Identifying areas of improvement from within the Mechanical/Dimensional Department, such as, measurement methods, procedures, measurement uncertainties and environmental conditions and driving these through to completion
- Work within the company procedures.
- Focused on asset management.
- Influencing Test Equipment design through the development lifecycle ensuring design for support and maintenance are built in.
- Engage and work in partnership with our stakeholders including key service providers, driving and supporting changes in working practices and toolsets.
- Aid in developing service level Key Performance Indicators and reporting against them.
- Experience of the following activities would be beneficial:
- Precision directional survey.
- Linear and angular measurement.
- Gyroscopic survey of true north.
- Laser tracker optical measurement.
- First principle measurement.
- CCTV based auto collimation.
- Master reference fixture certification.
- Reference mirror alignment and survey.
- Potential for a day - night shift pattern
Dependent on experience, you may also:
- Provide technical direction for the design, as well as guidance to the wider Test Equipment team.
- Be responsible for project deliverables.
- Experience and working knowledge of ISO17025, ISO10012 & ISO90001
- Mentor, coach and teach other engineers within the team.
- Review engineering estimates of tasks incorporating advice on how to reduce cost and timescale, increase compliance and reduce technical risk to inform bids and estimates to complete.
- Lead the technical direction and provide the oversight needed for the engineering team to achieve technically compliant work packages.
- Review, create and publish company test and measurement procedures and measurement uncertainties.
- Act as the domain expert
What we are looking for
You really must:
- You will be educated to either HNC/HND or Degree level in an Engineering discipline
- Have working experience in a Manufacturing Hall or Calibration Laboratory Environment, engaged in calibration, test measurement and maintenance of general purpose and special-to-type test equipment.
- Be able to self-manage, self-motivate and be looking to continuously develop.
- Identify areas within your work scope for improvement, solutionise, propose and implement improvements
- Be able to communicate effectively across different disciplines both verbally and in written form.
- Be willing to work on your own or as part of a team to resolve technical issues.
- Have a methodical and thorough approach to technical problem solving
We are relentless about inclusion. We understand an inclusive environment is one that welcomes everyone as they are. We see diversity as a strength. We still have some way to go to achieving diverse teams across our whole business. We would like you to be part of our journey to creating that better balance and welcome applications from all individuals from all walks of life as we build a stronger company together.