Find your future role
Begin your career with Leonardo, working on the most exciting projects within Defence!
Key skills required for this role
Mechanical design, 3D CAD, Creo, Solidworks, Defence
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5-year UK residency.
At Leonardo, we are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join our team. Leonardo is a global leader in defence electronics and delivers systems for situational awareness, electronic defence and surveillance across land, sea and air. The Radar and Advanced Targeting line of business, based in Edinburgh, is uniquely positioned as one of the world's top designers, developers and manufacturers of radars, lasers and infrared countermeasure systems
As a Mechanical Engineer you will assist in the design and development of our world leading radar and electro-optic products. You will be utilising state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools to explore all aspects of the development product lifecycle, which may include stress and thermal analysis, requirements analysis, design, implementation, test, build and product support. You will interface with customers (internal and external) on many factors within the design and liaise closely with Engineers from other disciplines, particularly Systems and Electronics.
Mechanical Engineering is a fundamental element of all our products and as such Mechanical Engineering provides the support and environment necessary for learning and career development.
What you will do:
As a Mechanical Engineer you will:
- Mechanical design and development using 3D CAD tools.
- Provide technical direction on critical business programmes to ensure delivery of mechanical engineering excellence.
- Provide key support to critical technical problem investigations and deliver effective solutions.
- Support and facilitate reviews and sign off release of mechanical designs in accordance with business and industry standards.
- Champion improvements in product manufacturability through effective relationship building and design guidance.
- Build effective cross functional relationships within local site, across business and internationally within group and suppliers.
- Support mechanical management team in process and departmental improvement and development activities.
- Continue professional development throughout your career by formal training, learning "on the job" and keeping up to date with the latest developments which may aid performance.
What we are looking for:
- First or second degree (BSc, BEng, MEng, MSc, PhD, EngD) in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (preferable) or related science (eg Physics).
- You will be working towards Chartered Engineer with IMechE or equivalent, or be eligible to obtain Chartered status with the IMechE in the next 2 years.
- Engineering design and development - process of delivering products and associated key milestones.
- Problem solving and simultaneous engineering - structured, logical approach to investigate issues and problems in an effective cross-functional manner.
- Mechanical engineering detailed design - first-hand experience of engineering design, numerical calculations, tolerance studies, etc.
- Customer orientation - demonstrate ability of fulfilling customer requirements (internal and/or external).
- Business awareness - understanding of fundamental business principles, drivers and key customers.
What we can offer:
- Flexible working: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life through flexible hours and part time options
- Custom working: The role may be a mixture of home based and onsite
- Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual lifestyle goals.
- Network groups
- Training: Free access to Coursera which provides more than 4,000 online courses
- Continuous Learning: You will be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring
- Investors in People: We are proud recipients of the Investors in People Silver Award
- Employee Assistance Programme: Providing free and confidential mental health support
- Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 12 flexi days
To find out about all of our Company benefits please visit our careers page.