Find your future role
Principal Electronics Product Engineer
Begin your career with Leonardo, working on the most exciting projects within Defence!
Key skills required for this role
Electro-Optics, Lasers, Manufacturing, Production, Electronics
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5 - year UK residency.
We are looking for an Electronics Product Engineer at Principal Level to join our team in Edinburgh. Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 7,000 are based in the UK. We are recruiting talented, motivated engineers to join our growing Electronics team.
In addition to the flexible working patterns offered by Leonardo's custom working initiative, this role is also available on a part time basis.
You must be eligible for full security clearance. For more information and guidance please visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vett…
What you will do:
We are looking for a self-motivated Principal Engineer with experience in the design and manufacture of electronic circuit cards and systems, who is capable of managing the technical support of a portfolio of products across new product introduction and production sustainment phases.
In this role within the Electro-Optics electronics team, you will work within the IPT structure supporting the production delivery of our laser products. Working closely with our Quality, Design and Manufacturing groups, as well as developing collaborative relationships with our key supply chain partners. Your primary focus is electronics but this will necessarily overlap into adjacent areas, strong problem solving and process control skills are required. Strengthening these skills to support product change, improving the processes used to resolve issues are a large part of this role. You will be supporting the existing range of airborne and land laser and range-finding products, and involved in the new product development of planned products. Teamwork is key and support particularly to and from the wider electronic engineering team is expected.
- Electrical hardware support with on-going laser production builds, resolving routine and technical issues, to ensure we continue to meet customer requirements and demand
- Root cause analysis of electrical sub-assembly and laser failures to component level
- Working within the wider Electro-Optics electronics team
- Perform hands-on, in-the-lab, troubleshooting and bringing up of prototype hardware
- Take detailed measurements of analog and digital hardware to assess circuit performance, investigate anomalies, to inform test and design improvements
- Develop test specification documentation
- Lead the Product Engineer activities for new product introductions with regards to DFM and DFT input and manage PCA transition to manufacture
- Working with third party suppliers, manage test fixture development, test acceptance and test equipment validation/qualification activities from test specification to volume manufacture
- Opportunity to mentor, coach and develop junior members of the Integrated Project Team
What we are looking for:
This role requires you to hold a degree in Electronics and Electrical Engineering or related discipline. As a Principal Electronics Product Engineer, you will have knowledge and experience in:
- Manufacturing, Industrial or Design engineering, familiar with Electro-Mechanical or laser based products
- Strong understanding and proven track record of engineering lifecycles and processes
- Good understanding of electronic schematics, both analogue and digital.
- Experience with PCB layout, schematic capture, testing, and fault diagnosis to component level
- Prototype manufacturing support and performance validation experience
- Strong test strategy, Design for Test and Design for Manufacturability skills
- Product and manufacturing safety experience
- Process driven with ability to define and achieve critical KPI's
- Robust logical problem solving skills and experience of RCCA, Five Why's, FMEA methodologies
- Experience of Six/Lean Sigma methodologies, DMAIC/DMADV and understanding of Cp and Cpk statistical process and analysis
- Familiarity with IPC standards
- Product Change and Component Obsolescence management
- Configuration Management
What we can offer you:
- Flexible working: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life through flexible hours and part time options
- Custom working: The role may be a mixture of home based and onsite
- Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual lifestyle goals.
- Network groups : To demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion we have network groups for
Carers (employees who care for someone who is either older, disabled or seriously ill)
Enable (supporting people with disabilities)
Equalise (development of a gender balanced workforce)
Pride (promoting equality for all LGBTQ+ individuals)
We also work in partnership with AFBE (Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers).
- Training : Free access to Coursera which provides more than 4,000 online courses
- Continuous Learning : You will be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring
- Investors in People : We are proud recipients of the Investors in People Silver Award
- Employee Assistance Programme : Providing free and confidential mental health support
- Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 12 flexi days