Find your future role
Lighting Engineer (Brent)
A locol London Authority is looking for a Lighting Engineer, that will be responsible for providing expert technical support in respect of maintaining the council's lighting stock
Key skills required for this role
Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- To be a constructive member of the street lighting team, co-operating with other team members on projects and sharing ideas and information. To attend meetings of staff and other public sector or industry representatives as required.
- Responsible for routine monitoring of lighting contractor, inspecting:
- Electrical testing certificates
- Column painting cycles
- Cleaning programmes
- Structural testing programmes
- Responsible for reviewing scouting reports (or faults identified by the CMS system) and ensuring that faults are remedied within contract standard.
- Routine inspection of lighting output, taking accurate readings of lux and/or candela (often at unsociable hours).
- To provide expertise in respect of LED technology where it relates to outdoor lighting.
- To prepare and present reports on aspects of the performance of contracted services and to brief line managers on issues identified and actions taken.
- To extract information from computerised and other systems and to carry out relevant data analysis, and subsequent investigation, in order to determine whether or not contractors are performing as required
Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Significant experience in contract monitoring/data analysis relevant to the post or Qualification to degree level in a relevant street lighting discipline with substantial post-qualification experience.
- Appropriate training in the following:
o The New Roads and Street Works Acts
o Civil Engineering / G39 - Highway Electrical Safety o Lighting design requirements
- Significant experience in identifying street lighting faults and instructing appropriate repair.
- Experience of assessing the quality of electrical repair work.
- Experience and knowledge of electrical testing requirements and associated certification.
- Experience and knowledge of using contractually agreed procedures and methods to bring about improvements in service provision / remedy under-performance.
- Experience of assessing cyclical works associated with the upkeep and maintenance of urban outdoor lighting systems.
- Experience of inspecting and monitoring the work carried out by service providers, specifically relating to urban outdoor lighting.
- Gathering information that may be used in order to evidence an abnormality (either with suppliers, or end users).
- Experience of working with customers their representatives, and internal stakeholders in order to improve the customer experience
- Experience of using analytical skills to methodically identify problems with routine programme work, digitally provided services and mechanical failures with assets and infrastructure
Skills and Abilities:
- The skill to identify complex electrical and structural faults.
- Excellent numeracy skills.
- Commitment to and having a demonstrable ability to deliver value for money
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing to a wide range of diverse audiences
- A high level of analytical skills and the ability to apply them to work issues and to develop practical action plans and processes
- Ability to deliver to tight deadlines without supervision
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in a devolved organisation to achieve set goals
- Active, results orientated and sensitive to individual and community needs