Find your future role
Principal Test Hardware Design Engineer
In this role, you will develop hardware-based equipment that will perform various testing, from design verification through acceptance to repair on our range of Radar products.
Key skills required for this role
Defence, Test Hardware, Test, Hardware Engineer, Test Engineering, Microwave/Antenna, Analogue, DOORS, Power Supplies, Radio Frequency
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5-year UK residency.
You will be working within a multi-disciplined delivery team with responsibility across the full Engineering Lifecycle from requirements capture to final delivery. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to join a highly skilled team at a time of significant growth within the Radar sector. Initially this role will involve delivery of equipment to support Antenna test, however future work will most likely involve the other key elements of the Radar system.
We're looking for you to bring your talents and form an integral part of Leonardo's future. We can help you develop your skills and offer great opportunities to develop and grow, so why not join us?
What you will do:
Typical responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design and development across the full lifecycle from requirements analysis; through conceptual, preliminary and detailed design, procurement and manufacturing support; to integrating the hardware with the hosted software and firmware; and lastly to acceptance test and delivery to the customer.
- As a design engineer, you will be responsible for creating high quality and robust data packs; for fully documenting and recording your work products; keeping them under configuration management and providing plans and reports on progress to your line manager.
- Completing tasks in accordance with appropriate processes and procedures.
- Taking an active role in engineering process improvement.
- You will work closely with Software and Firmware engineers to solve real integration problems at system level.
- Dependent on experience, you may also:
- Provide technical direction for the design, as well as guidance to the wider Test Equipment team.
- Be responsible for project deliverables.
- Mentor, coach and teach other engineers within the team.
- Review engineering estimates of tasks incorporating advice on how to reduce cost and timescale, increase compliance and reduce technical risk to inform bids and estimates to complete.
- Lead the technical direction and provide the oversight needed for the engineering team to achieve technically compliant work packages.
- Act as the domain expert in support of customer and user engagement understanding their requirements in the context of the solution.
You really must have:
- Have a degree in Electronic Engineering / related science or equivalent work experience.
- Be able to self-manage, self-motivate and be looking to continuously develop.
- Have the ability to analyse system level documents and derive detailed unit requirements under own initiative.
- Be able to communicate effectively across different disciplines both verbally and in written form.
- Be willing to work on your own or as part of a team to resolve technical issues.
- Have a methodical and thorough approach to hardware design.
- Be able to interface with suppliers of key components and assemblies.
It would be nice if you had:
- Well rounded engineering experience in all phases of the Product Life Cycle across several projects and preferably in a number of engineering domains
- Experience of customer/ supplier relations and working within multi-discipline project teams.
- Experience of designing solutions for one or more of the following technologies:
- Radio Frequency/Microwave/Antenna
- Digital and/or Analogue
- Power Supplies
- High Speed Digital Interfacing
- Common interfaces i.e. RS422, 1553, I2C/SPI, Ethernet
- Knowledge of Requirements management tools such as DOORS.
You must be capable of achieving full SC security clearance and will require access to caveated information such as UK eyes only.