Find your future role
Senior/Principal Design Engineer - Oxford - Excellent salary
Our client are seeking an experienced Civil Engineer to join their design team working on a range of traffic engineering, active travel and road safety schemes across Oxfordshire
Key skills required for this role
Highway design, active travel, traffic engineering, project management
Highways and drainage design
Senior / Principal Civil Engineer (Highways) - Excellent salaries on offer - Oxford
Our client is a key Engineering specialist providing Design and Construction expertise across the highways, water, energy, and telecommunications sector. Working in partnership with Oxfordshire County Council they are looking to grow their Design team and are seeking an experienced Civil Engineer to work on a range of traffic engineering, active travel and road safety projects throughout the County.
As a Senior / Principal Civil Engineer you will be part of the Highways Design Team who are responsible for developing and delivering a wide range of highway and transport infrastructure projects, contributing to improving the way people move around Oxfordshire. These range from small scale city centre cycling & pedestrian improvements aimed at promoting active travel, through to major new highway infrastructure and sustainable transport projects.
The Oxfordshire Highways contract is an integrated contract delivering a range of services in partnership with Oxfordshire County Council. The Council have recently adopted a Local Transport Connectivity Plan, with an ambition to create a net zero transport system by 2040, improving health and wellbeing, tackling the climate emergency, reducing private vehicle use and prioritising walking, cycling and public transport. They have also adopted a commitment to 'Vision Zero' - the elimination of deaths and serious injuries from road traffic collisions by 2050, with a 50% reduction by 2030. Therefore, we are seeking to recruit highway design staff at various levels to the Oxford team to help us deliver a wide range of road safety, active travel and other highway projects.
- Supervise and contribute towards developing the design and delivery for a wide range of highway improvement and traffic engineering schemes located in both urban and rural settings.
- Work closely with project managers, our commercial and construction teams to plan and implement these schemes from 'start to finish' within budget and to programme, and in compliance with quality, safety and environmental objectives.
- Consult with a range of internal and external stakeholders at all stages of scheme development.
- Ensure that relevant standards are applied in accordance with national & local criteria and sound engineering practice, to deliver appropriate solutions which offer best value.
- Assist in the mentoring of our trainee and graduate engineers.
Qualifications / desired experience deemed necessary for the role:
- Working knowledge of Design Manual for Roads, Manual For Streets and Bridges/Specification for Highway Works relating to the design and maintenance of local authority highway and transport schemes.
- Experience of working on active travel projects (with an understanding of the principles of Local Transport Note 1/20).
- Experience in using and supervising the use of design software including Autodesk packages Civils 3D (or equivalent) and AutoCAD.
- Site based highways experience to provide sufficient understanding of buildability, traffic management and construction programming (desirable).
- A relevant Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent, or Foundation Degree/HNC/HND together with sufficient post qualification experience.
- Actively working towards Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status of the Institution of Civil Engineers or equivalent professional body.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player with a 'can do' approach.
- Ability to prioritise your own workload and those reporting to you and carry out project design work with minimum supervision.
What makes this role special:
In this role our client is based at County Hall in Oxford City Centre, co-located with their client, which enables them to offer a true partnership setup.
Their workplace offers a true vibrant and dynamic feel, situated in the heart of the city, with excellent connections to public transport including the nearby main train station and a first class park and ride facility.
They can also offer a hybrid working arrangement which allows face to face interaction with your colleagues for part of the week, combined with home working, seeking to create the ideal work life balance for all parties.
They are offering a very competitive package, with 28 days holiday (plus bank holidays), car and fuel card/car allowance, general pension, professional fees paid, and further benefits.
This all helps creates an excellent opportunity to join an organisation who are really proud of their sustainable and environmental credentials and embracing these in the engineering solutions they create.
As a business they have numerous industry accolades, including the Environmental Sustainability and Special Merit Award at The Highways Awards and are proud to be using this mindset to help them constantly evolve and meet the ambitions of theirs clients across the UK:, an example being the world's first carbon negative highways infrastructure project
How to Apply or for more Information
3 simple ways to apply or get in touch:
Apply directly online via the Matchtech website
Call Chris Jones directly on 01489 873422
Email your CV