Find your future role
Lead EMC Specialist
At Leonardo, we have an opportunity for a Lead EMC Specialist.
Key skills required for this role
Defence, Aerospace, EMC, EMC Design, EMC Engineering, Electromagnetic compatibility, EMC Test,
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5-year UK residency.
Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 7,000 are based in the UK.
The Radar and Advanced Targeting line of business, based in Edinburgh, is uniquely positioned as one of the world's top manufacturers of Radars, Lasers and Infra-Red Countermeasure Systems.
Engineering require a Lead EMC Specialist to support current/future projects and the EMC Test Team within our UKAS accredited test facility. Reporting to the EMC Manager you will be responsible for the delivery of EMC Engineering tasks in support of delivery to our internal and external customers.
What we can offer you:
- Flexible working: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life through flexible hours and part time options.
- Custom working: The role is based at the Edinburgh site, however we can offer a mix of home based and onsite working. Work from our satellite site in Newcastle may also be supported.
- Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual lifestyle goals.
- Network groups: To demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion.
- Training: Free access to Coursera which provides more than 4,000 online courses.
- Continuous Learning: You will be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring.
- Investors in People: We are proud recipients of the Investors in People Silver Award.
- Employee Assistance Programme: Providing free and confidential mental health support.
- Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 12 flexi days.
Key Responsibility Areas
- EMC engineering activities aligned to defence and aviation standards such as MIL-STD-461, DO-160 and EFA EMC Specification.
- Support of EMC test that covers the core areas of Radiated/Conducted Emissions and Susceptibility, Lightning, ESD, NEMP and Voltage Spike.
- Consult to project teams on EMC and the definition/interpretation of EMC Test requirements (current and future programmes).
- You will work as part of a team responsible for early development lifecycle pre compliance through to formal product qualification EMC test.
- EMC Specialist providing support and fulfilling consultative role to internal and external customers. Areas supported include;
- EMC requirement definition and flow down.
- EMC design practices.
- EMC simulation and analysis
- Technical support to EMC Test Team.
- Support of test plan generation.
- Test report peer review.
- Test procedure peer review.
- Support of customer project test report generation.
- Support test readiness of upcoming customers via Test Readiness Reviews.
- EMC point of contact for key customers.
- Support of product certification and Declaration of Design and Performance review.
- Provide guidance and technical expertise on EMC facility capital spend to ensure capability is maintained and improved as required.
- Develop and lead EMC analysis, simulation and modelling capability.
- Support facility audits, including internal quality and technical audits, external AS9100D and ISO17025 aligned to continued UKAS accreditation.
- Provide technical expertise on EMC facility requirements, with a view to establishing and delivering an EMC Test capability into the future.
- Guide, mentor and train more junior staff.
- Play an active role in being a team player, taking a proactive approach to working with colleagues and customers.
You must be eligible for full security clearance.
We are relentless about inclusion. We understand an inclusive environment is one that welcomes everyone as they are. We see diversity as a strength. We still have some way to go to achieving diverse teams across our whole business. We would like you to be part of our journey to creating that better balance and welcome applications from all individuals from all walks of life as we build a stronger company together.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
- Degree qualified in Electronics, Physics or relevant subject (career experience will be considered as an alternative).
- EMC Test experience to MIL-STD-461, DO-160 and EFA EMC Specification, commercial test
experience will also be considered favourably.
- Knowledge and experience of EMC simulation utilising toolset suites such as CST and Ansys.
- Effective and flexible communication skills.
- Experience of EMC in relation to Aircraft Equipment installations.
- You will work with internal and external customers, so experience in a customer facing role would be advantageous.
- Experience of working with a Quality Management System and laboratory accreditation would be advantageous (AS9100/ISO17025).
- Previous experience of new and upgraded EMC Laboratory requirement planning, introduction and commissioning will be considered favourably.
- If you have less experience than we have shared within this domain we would still like to hear from you.