Find your future role
Principal Software Engineer
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join the Radar Test Equipment delivery team at Leonardo in Edinburgh.
Key skills required for this role
Software, Embedded, C/C++, Linux, Xilinx, Device Drivers, Kernel, Eclipse, Agile, Defence
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5-year UK residency.
In this role you will develop test program software across the spectrum of techniques therefore we are looking for you to have a background in software development for RF, Digital, Analogue and Power.
You will be working within a multi-disciplined delivery team with responsibility across the full Engineering Lifecycle from requirements capture to final delivery. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to join a highly skilled team at a time of significant growth within the Radar sector. Initially this role will involve
the development of a GUI running on Windows 10 and above, which is required to interface with two PCIe FPGA development boards resident in a Test PC.
The application shall have the following functionality:
· Manage data transfers between host PC and PCIe cards
· Display the UUT status as part of application
· Provide an interface to allow the user to send text based scripts to the PCIe cards for execution
· Log data sent to / from the UUT in timestamped logs
We're looking for you to bring your talents and form an integral part of Leonardo's future. We can help you develop your skills and offer great opportunities to develop and grow, so why not join us?
What you will do:
Typical responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Software development may include the full software lifecycle from requirements analysis; through design, coding and unit test; to integrating the software with the hardware target; and lastly to acceptance test and delivery to the customer
- As a software engineer, you are responsible for creating high quality and robust code; for fully documenting and recording your work products; keeping them under configuration management and providing plans and reports on progress to your line manager
- Ability to take ownership of a work package, planning your teams work and supervising for junior engineers in completion of their tasks
- Completing tasks in accordance with appropriate processes and procedures
- Taking an active role in engineering process improvement
- Plan and deliver own work, across medium term planning horizons and provide complex technical advice to both internal and external customers
- Mentor, coach and develop more junior members of the team in order to develop overall capability
- You will work closely with Hardware and Firmware engineers to solve real integration problems on test systems
- Most training will be delivered via on-the-job experience working in a software team forming part of a multi-discipline delivery team
- Additional formal technical training to augment the on-the-job training may be provided via taught courses depending on the business needs
You really must have:
- Degree qualified in Software Engineering or related science or equivalent work experience
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Capable of adapting to different contexts and situations
- Proficiency in Test Application Software Design:- the ability to create desktop PC applications in C# using design tools such as Visual Studio
- Good knowledge of developing software within a development process framework
- Good understanding of Software Configuration Management tools e.g. Dimensions would be beneficial
- Able to demonstrate experience in most areas of the software lifecycle from requirements definition through to implementation, integration test and delivery
It would be nice if you had:
- Programming in C language
- NI LabWindows/CVI and TestStand
- Low Level Driver Development
- Knowledge of LabVIEW and LabVIEW FPGA
- Developing software for test system environments. RF test system environment experience
- Well rounded engineering experience in all phases of the Product Life Cycle across several projects and preferably in a number of engineering domains
- Experience of customer/ supplier relations and working within multi-discipline project teams.
- Knowledge of Requirements management tools such as DOORS
You must be capable of achieving full SC security clearance and will require access to caveated information such as UK eyes only.