Find your future role
|Job type||Contract 6 Months|
One of our water clients are now looking for a Civil Design Manager to join their design team and lead their Civil/Structural Design Engineers. This role will be based in their head office in Southampton.
Key skills required for this role
Design Manager - Water Sector
Civil Design Manager - Water Sector
Civils Design Manager - Outside IR35
Location - Southampton (Must be able to attend the office 2/3 times a week)
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Interrogation of enquiry documents, coordination of technical support required from the civil/structural design team during tender preparations and production of design estimates. Liaison with other internal departments during these early stages will culminate in the production of Technical Proposal documents.
- Review of Subcontractor design proposals.
- Investigation of value engineering and value creation opportunities.
- Management of the civil/structural design team to ensure the efficient and intelligent production of design deliverables.
- Line Management responsibilities for existing staff and recruitment of new design team members.
- Undertaking formal design reviews throughout the project cycle as defined within procedures.
- Coordinating quality control of all civil/structural design related deliverables.
- Approval of civil/structural design related deliverables and ensuring compliance with current codes and standards (Incl. Temporary Works).
- Coordinating the provision of technical assistance to project delivery teams during the construction, installation and commissioning phases of projects.
- Ensuring engineering change is effectively managed and reported to the Commercial team.
- Monitoring design progression for each project, in conjunction with the planning team, and ensuring early identification and escalation of potential issues where necessary.
- Coordination of project delivery team involvement to ensure buildability and commissioning input is obtained at appropriate stages in the design development process.
- Assisting with the developmnent of the civil/structural engineers enroute to their professional qualifications.
- Responsible for ensuring that direct reports fulfil their duties under the CDM Regulations 2015 throughout the design process.
- Championing continuous improvement of the design delivery process.
- Development and maintenance of relationships with Clients.
- Identification and adoption/implementation of software packages to improve the efficiency of the design development process.
Key Skills and Background:
- A history of managing a team of civil and structural design engineers for a contractor or consultant.
- Previous experience working in a water/wastewater design environment.
- A thorough awareness of the commercial factors applicable to tendering & the design delivery process.
- A keen eye for detail with the ability to resolve technical queries and review/approve design documentation.
- A good working knowledge of BIM/Digital Delivery processes.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, and work in collaboration with other team members.
- Although the role will be based in the Head Office in Southampton, travel to sites throughout the UK will be required periodically.
- Numeracy and technical bid/report writing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- Chartered membership of a relevant professional institution such as MICE.
- MEng/BEng in Civil Engineering or Civil Structural Engineering.
- Full driving licence