Find your future role
Product Safety Engineer
At Leonardo, we have an opportunity for Safety Engineers to join our Supportability team.
Key skills required for this role
Safety Requirements, Product Safety Engineer, PTC Windchill Quality Solutions; DOORS; Matlab / Simulink; Jira, Python, Engineering, Supportability
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5-year UK residency.
The Supportability function has a unique position within our business as it is involved in all the stages of a programme, from initial development, production, customer support and repairs, and eventually disposal.
Whether you have extensive industry experience, just starting your career in aerospace or looking to return to the industry this could be the opportunity for you and we are keen to hear from you!
What you'll do as a Product Safety Engineer:
If you have any experience in the following areas, we would be keen to hear from you. We favour behaviours and experience over a specific toolset. We have an opportunity to tailor the responsibilities of the role to your experience, therefore, if you have all levels of safety experience and aspirations to develop would like to hear from you.
- Influencing design by analysis of Safety and Environmental aspects and developing Safety requirements
- Working across the full engineering lifecycle with a focus on developing Safety and Environmental Impact Management programmes
- Equipment Failure Modes Effects & Criticality Analysis (FMECA)
- Safety Hazard Identification and Safety Management including Fault Tree Analysis
- Working in, or knowledge of, the disciplines of Reliability, Maintainability and Testability
- Working with MIL-STD-882; Def Stan 00-051, 00-055, 00-056, 00-970; MAA Regulatory Articles
- Understanding of BS EN61010 and BS EN6095; and RTCA DO-178 and DO-254 would be desirable
- Problem solving and managing potentially conflicting inputs from multiple stakeholder groups
- Creation of beneficial relationships with cross-functional colleagues, customers, and suppliers
Working across the Radar and Advanced Targeting business areas you will be actively involved in analysing, assessing, and influencing the supportability characteristics, supportability strategy, and performance of the next generation of Leonardo products.
As a Safety Engineer you will have the following responsibilities:
- Engaging with the Integrated Project Teams to deliver Supportability Engineering work packages in areas of Safety and Environmental Impact.
- Working closely with across multiple Engineering disciplines to identify and avoid safety and environmental related problems on complex systems before they reach production.
- Use your engineering talent to grow and develop the supportability community and core skills base and contribute to continual improvement of Leonardo's Safety and Environmental Management System
- Contribute to continuous product and process/procedural improvements to help drive out the cost and reputational consequence of failure by reducing safety risks.
Understanding the Customers' requirements to help guide the development of safe equipment capable of meeting the needs of current and future operational environments.
What we need from you:
We make the best products, and we can only do that with the best people. We encourage and support every engineer to develop, own and drive ambitions and goals.
Ideally, you will have an engineering or science-based Honours degree and have worked in industry, defence or will have relevant experience.
You will have effective and flexible communication and the ability to prepare coherently structured reports including relevant data and evidenced claims and present the outcome of safety analysis to Integrated Project Teams and customers.
Our team use: Microsoft Office packages; PTC Windchill Quality Solutions; DOORS; Matlab / Simulink; Jira and Python and a considerable level of expertise with these would be highly desirable.
You must be eligible for full security clearance.
Life at Leonardo
With a company funded benefits package, a commitment to learning and development, and a flexible approach to working hours focused on the needs of both our employees and customers, a career with Leonardo has never offered as many opportunities or been more accessible to as many people.
- Flexible Working: Flexible hours with hybrid working options. For part time opportunities, please talk to us
- Company funded flexible benefits: Access to private healthcare, dental schemes, Workplace ISA, Go Green Car Scheme, technology and lifestyle options (£500 annual allowance)
- Holidays: 25 days plus bank holidays, option to buy/sell leave and to accrue up to 12 additional flexi leave days per year
- Pension: Award winning pension scheme (up to 10% employer contribution)
- Wellbeing: Employee Assistance Programme with access to free mental health support, financial wellbeing support and network groups to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion (Enable, Pride, Equalise, Reservists, Carers)
- Lifestyle: Discounted Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme
- Training: Free access to more than 4000 online courses via Coursera
- Referral Incentive: You can earn a reward for successfully referring a friend or family member
- Bonus: Scheme in place for all employees at management level and below
For a full list of our Company benefits please visit our website.
At Leonardo UK, we believe that a diverse and inclusive work environment unlocks our people's full potential and drives innovation and creativity.