Find your future role
Safety & Certification Engineer
|Job type||Contract 6 Months|
Safety & Certification Engineer with experience of Systems Engineering & Lloyds Register Risk Based Certification. Fuel Cell development in the Marine sector.
Key skills required for this role
Lloyds Register Certification, Fuel Cell, Engineering, Safety
Lloyds Register Certification, Engineering, Marine, Safety, Fuel Cells
This role can be Outside IR35 with some hybrid working
We are looking for a forward-thinking Systems Engineer with a passion for safety and a drive to make a difference. This role involves integration of hydrogen fuel cell power systems (both fuel cell stacks and balance of plant), conducting risk assessments, collaborating with multidisciplinary teams to integrate safety measures, and verifying compliance with industry standards and regulations. Also participating in the development of safety guidelines, conducting thorough analysis of potential hazards, and proposes solutions to mitigate risks. Excellent technical, analytical and communication skills are crucial for success in this position.
Specifically, guide our multi-stack fuel cell module and Conquest container through the Lloyd's Register Risk Based Certification / Type Approval process and any associated other tasks to Class and Flag approval.
- Review the information currently gathered on rules and standards, and the current project safety concept.
- Acquire familiarity with the Lloyd's Register (LR) Risk Based Certification (RBC) process from existing notes and engagement with Lloyd's Register and customer classification specialist.
- Co-ordinate the execution of the RBC phases for both the module and the container.
- Main scope of managing this certification process will be to coordinate the following activities and contribute to the documentation preparation as per following:
- Submission of RBC specific forms such as PAR (Preliminary appraisal of rules), E&C Matrix, TOR (Terms of Reference), design description, basis for safety, risk assessment approach description, FDA (Final design assessment), etc.
- Gathering, editing and submission of Ricardo data such as schematics, drawings, reports, PFDs (Process Flow diagrams), General Arrangements drawings, etc.
- Submission of required additional information or clarification to LR;
- Preparation of any update or remedy required to sustain and solve any non-conformity rising along the way
- Clarify and strengthen our technical solution in case any objection may develop (i.e. some "negotiation" skills are nice to have)
- Co-ordination of HAZID and other Risk assessment activity
- Liaise with possible external consultants
- Coordinate submission of the type approval certification to LR for all the unit subsystems
- Evolving HAZID/Risk Assessments outcomes into further scope.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams - eliciting the best from a diverse set of project contributors, engineering, analytical, practical and commercial, customer (and possibly also Class and Flag organisations).
- Understands and works within project financial targets, time schedules and manages and prioritises all tasks required. Communicates issues to Project Manager and Chief Engineer as they arise and assists in developing responses to those issues.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in a related engineering discipline (System, Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics, etc).
- Minimum 5-10 years of related experience
- Technical familiarity with fuel cells, electrical systems, control systems and software development.
- Some level of knowledge of maritime rules and regulations for conventional (and ideally decarbonisation) technologies.
- Proven capacity to swiftly study and apprise safety standards and regulations with familiarity of risk assessment methodologies preferred.
- Able to define the requirements of a process which may be previously unknown and translate this into required inputs, scope of work and intermediate deliverables.
- Strong ability to apply fundamental engineering principles.
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to engage authoritatively in senior and large group discussions.
- Autonomy in managing and delivery tasks defined with the chief engineer.