Find your future role
Systems Engineer - All Levels
|Location||Newcastle upon Tyne, England|
We are recruiting for a number of Systems Engineering roles, but wherever you go, you will work on real engineering problems, designing and developing solutions that sit at the heart of our products.
Key skills required for this role
Matlab, Systems Engineering, Simulink, RF Systems, Real Time, Electro-optic Systems,
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5-year UK residency.
- Are you a systems-thinker?
- Does solving complex problems interest you?
- Would you thrive in a collaborative environment?
- Do you want to apply your skills to a complex problem domain?
Then we want to speak to you!
- The radar for the Typhoon fighter jet
- The radar for the SAAB Gripen fighter
- Our family of Surveillance AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Array) radars
- An IRCM (Infra-Red Counter Measures) system
- Our laser target designator or laser ranging systems
What you'll do as a Systems Engineer
Systems Engineers span a range of activities that help pull together all the necessary engineering and technology strands into a high-performance system. As a Systems Engineer, you will bridge the gap between the theoretically possible and the practically implementable.
We are recruiting for a number of roles from a variety of backgrounds and skillsets. Based upon your skills and foundation knowledge, we will assess where your knowledge and skills would best fit and discuss the options with you.
Typical work you might be involved in:
- Contribute to an early concept study investigating the application of new technology on future platforms
- Engage with stakeholders to define requirements for a new system
- Design and integrate new functionality into an existing sub-system in Simulink
- Collaborate with other engineers to design and prototype a detailed model of a system to understand observed simulated performance
- Design and prototype algorithms in Matlab, taking into account limitations and constraints of the target hardware
- Investigate the cause of anomalies observed during integration or evaluation activities, using real trials data
Dependent on experience, you may lead technical activities and initiatives, or you may mentor and coach other engineers.
What we need from you:
Ideally, you will have a science-based Honours degree or equivalent experience. You will have worked in industry, or will have advanced academic research experience. We are not expecting you to have deep theoretical knowledge of radar, electro-optics or infrared systems. What we are looking for are systems engineers with applied engineering experience that we can build upon through training, team working and mentoring.
We are particularly interested in speaking to you if you have experience in any of the following areas:
- Systems Engineering specialisms, e.g.
- Problem definition
- Systems Architecture
- Synthetic Environments
- Performance Modelling
- Verification and Validation
- System of Systems
- Domain specialisms, e.g.
- Digital signal processing
- RF systems
- Electro-optic systems
- Medical imaging systems, image processing, image / object classification / identification
- Computer vision image processing (e.g. segmentation, clustering)
- Multi-sensor data fusion and tracking
- Real time data simulation/generation
You must be eligible for full security clearance and access to UK-caveated and ITAR controlled information.
Life at Leonardo
With a company funded benefits package, a commitment to learning and development, and a flexible approach to working hours focused on the needs of both our employees and customers, a career with Leonardo has never offered as many opportunities or been more accessible to as many people.
- Flexible Working: Flexible hours with hybrid working options. For part time opportunities, please talk to us
- Company funded flexible benefits: Access to private healthcare, dental schemes, Workplace ISA, Go Green Car Scheme, technology and lifestyle options (£500 annual allowance)
- Holidays: 25 days plus bank holidays, option to buy/sell leave and to accrue up to 12 additional flexi leave days per year
- Pension: Award winning pension scheme (up to 10% employer contribution)
- Wellbeing: Employee Assistance Programme with access to free mental health support, financial wellbeing support and network groups to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion (Enable, Pride, Equalise, Reservists, Carers)
- Lifestyle: Discounted Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme
- Training: Free access to more than 4000 online courses via Coursera
- Referral Incentive: You can earn a reward for successfully referring a friend or family member
- Bonus: Scheme in place for all employees at management level and below
For a full list of our Company benefits please visit our website.
Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 8,000 are based at 8 sites throughout the UK.
Primary Location: GB - Edinburgh
Additional Locations: GB - Newcastle