Find your future role
Lead Embedded Software Engineer
|Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Leonardo has opened a new site in Newcastle and we are looking to enhance our existing Software capability in the Radar and Advanced Targeting line of business based in Edinburgh.
Key skills required for this role
Software, Embedded, C/C++, Linux, Xilinx, Device Drivers, Kernel, Eclipse, Agile, Defence
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5-year UK residency.
At Leonardo, we are looking for multiple industry experienced Embedded Lead Software Engineers to join our growing Software community.
What you'll do as a Embedded Lead Software Engineer:
You will develop embedded software for a state-of-the-art radar platform. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team, working closely with Electronic and VHDL/FPGA engineers to ensure the successful testing and commissioning of a complex multi-unit system. The work is innovative and challenging on cutting-edge Arm and Intel SoC platforms
Within the software engineering community at Leonardo Edinburgh, our mission is simple: "Deliver new features and enhancements quickly and continuously to keep our operators safe." That means we need to develop features, gather data, diagnose problems and deploy updates as quickly as possible. As a Software Engineer, you'll understand the value you deliver to our customers and how important that is to mission success.
Due to the nature of the work we do, remote working and working from home is limited.
We need you to:
- Show a sense of Community: You'll embed yourself within our community, and value the progress all teams make. You'll want to help others
- Be Adaptable: You'll be adaptable to the evolving challenges our community face
- Be Curious: You'll be an avid learner and stretch yourself to deliver on our mission
- Show Radical Candor: You'll care personally and challenge directly
- Be Passionate: You'll show passion and purpose to succeed in our mission
- Be Pragmatic: You'll make pragmatic choices to strengthen our community and achieve our mission
What we need from you is applied knowledge and industry experience in:
- Strong low level embedded C programming skills
- A solid grasp of C++
- Experience in testing and integrating software with firmware (VHDL/Verilog) and hardware
- Excellent debugging skills and application of various strategies
- Use of RTOSs such as VxWorks or embedded Linux
- Deployment of software to distributed hardware platforms, multicore programming, memory management techniques, device driver development, code optimisation, interrupt-driven designs
- A good understanding of electronics, schematic design and use of test equipment
- Experience developing solutions for ARM and Intel based multicore processing platforms
- Communication protocols (I2C, SPI, USB, Serial, Network, PCIe)
- Familiarity with configuration management tools, defect tracking and peer review
Demonstrable experience in the following areas will help you stand out:
- Working alongside firmware and hardware engineers to develop working embedded solutions
- Knowledge of standards such as DO-178C and coding standards such as MISRA C/C++
- Requirements management tools
- Experience of Agile development and Atlassian toolset
- Understanding of the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Experience developing Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment
You must be eligible for full security clearance.
Life at Leonardo
With a company funded benefits package, a commitment to learning and development, and a flexible approach to working hours focused on the needs of both our employees and customers, a career with Leonardo has never offered as many opportunities or been more accessible to as many people.
- Flexible Working: Flexible hours with hybrid working options. For part time opportunities, please talk to us
- Company funded flexible benefits: Access to private healthcare, dental schemes, Workplace ISA, Go Green Car Scheme, technology and lifestyle options (£500 annual allowance)
- Holidays: 25 days plus bank holidays, option to buy/sell leave and to accrue up to 12 additional flexi leave days per year
- Pension: Award winning pension scheme (up to 10% employer contribution)
- Wellbeing: Employee Assistance Programme with access to free mental health support, financial wellbeing support and network groups to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion (Enable, Pride, Equalise, Reservists, Carers)
- Lifestyle: Discounted Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme
- Training: Free access to more than 4000 online courses via Coursera
- Referral Incentive: You can earn a reward for successfully referring a friend or family member
- Bonus: Scheme in place for all employees at management level and below
For a full list of our Company benefits please visit our website.
Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security.
Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 8,000 are based at 8 sites throughout the UK.
At Leonardo UK, we believe that a diverse and inclusive work environment unlocks our people's full potential and drives innovation and creativity. We work hard to offer a welcoming, accessible and inclusive place to work for all of our people, creating a culture where everyone can thrive, feel safe and have a sense of belonging and connection.
This is a great opportunity to bring your talents and form an integral part of Leonardo's future. We can help you develop your skills and offer great opportunities to develop and grow, so why not join us.