Find your future role
Principal Test Equipment Engineer
At Leonardo, we have an opportunity for Principal Test Equipment Engineer Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security
Key skills required for this role
Test Equipment, Optical Measurement, Laser Tracker, Calibration, Production, Lab Measurements
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5-year UK residency.
The Radar and Advanced Targeting line of business, based in Edinburgh, is uniquely positioned as one of the world's top manufacturers of radars, lasers and infra-red countermeasure systems. We are looking to recruit an experienced engineer to further enhance our team. You'll be joining Leonardo's Electronics Division and will provide engineering support to the Support and Services Solutions (S3) business unit.
What we can offer you:
* Flexible working: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life through flexible hours and part time options
* Custom working: The role may be a mixture of home based and onsite
* Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual lifestyle goals.
* Network groups : To demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion we have network groups for
* Carers (employees who care for someone who is either older, disabled or seriously ill)
* Enable (supporting people with disabilities)
* Equalise (development of a gender balanced workforce)
* Pride (promoting equality for all LGBTQ+ individuals)
* We also work in partnership with AFBE (Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers).
* Training : Free access to Coursera which provides more than 4,000 online courses
* Continuous Learning : You will be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring
* Investors in People : We are proud recipients of the Investors in People Silver Award
* Employee Assistance Programme : Providing free and confidential mental health support
* Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 8 flexi days
Key Responsibility Areas
The role of Principal Test Equipment Engineer is key to delivering effective engineering support to the S3 business unit across the Edinburgh site and to external customers within the UK and abroad.
You will lead a close-knit team of engineers ensuring that calibration, repair, maintenance and safety testing activities are executed in a manner which maximises availability of equipment in our manufacturing production halls, engineering labs and at external customer sites.
The role requires visits to a number of sites throughout the world and regular liaison with customer teams at these sites.
You will have effective and flexible communication skills both directly within your team and with all major stakeholders. A close working relationship will be developed with external partners and suppliers resulting in effective asset management. The ability to prioritise and balance workload within the team is required. An awareness of the activities which drive cost will be an important element of the role. This will involve optimising the periodicity of calibration and maintenance operations, identification and elimination of pattern faults to drive down repair costs and reviewing working procedures for quality and consistency.
A close working relationship will be required with customers, test equipment design authorities, manufacturing hall supervisors and equipment operators to provide effective maintenance and successful closure of technical issues. A range of skills will be required in this role. Experience of mixed technologies test equipment is required while knowledge of test equipment design processes and engineering tools is desirable. The ability to identify, categorise and effectively plan corrective actions is essential.
* Team leadership.
* Delivering the core task of calibration, repair, maintenance and safety testing to agreed timescales and budget.
* Managing off site visits and leading your team to respond to call outs within agreed timescales.
* Provide a focused approach to asset management.
* Developing a working partnership with your external customers, manufacturing and supply chain customers and other stakeholders, geared to product delivery.
* Planning, scheduling, monitoring and reporting on support team activities, integrated with customer schedules.
* Influencing test equipment design through the development lifecycle ensuring design for support and maintenance are built in.
* Identifying areas of improvement in all aspect of the role, driving these through to completion.
* Engage and work in partnership with our stakeholders including key service providers, driving and supporting changes in working practices and toolsets.
* Aid in developing service level key performance indicators and reporting against them.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
* You will be educated to HND/Degree level in an engineering discipline.
* Previous team leadership or a desire to develop your career in a team leadership role is required.
* You must be a team player, customer focused and able to develop strong, trusting relationships.
* Technical leadership and problem solving skills are required.
* Experience of debugging and fault finding of complex electronic systems is required.
* Knowledge of measurement systems is desirable.
* An understanding and experience of the full product design lifecycle would be advantageous but not essential.
* Experience and knowledge in some of the following would be advantageous; Radar Systems, Lasers, Electro-Optics, complex electronic systems, Special to Type Test Equipment.
Primary Location: GB - Edinburgh
Hybrid Working: Hybrid