Find your future role
Senior Hardware Engineer (EMC Test)
At Leonardo, we have an opportunity for a Senior Hardware Engineer. Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security.
Key skills required for this role
Hardware Engineer, EMC Test, EMC Laboratory requirement planning, electronics, radiated/conducted emissions and susceptibility, RF
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5-year UK residency.
The Radar and Advanced Targeting line of business, based in Edinburgh, is uniquely positioned as one of the world's top manufacturers of Radars, Lasers and Infra-Red Countermeasure systems.
The Test Engineering discipline requires a Senior Hardware Engineer to carry out EMC test and EMC facility management tasks within our UKAS accredited test facility. Reporting to the EMC Facility Principal Engineer, you will be responsible for the delivery of EMC test engineering tasks as required by our internal and external customers.
What we can offer you:
- Flexible working: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy
a balanced life through flexible hours and part time options.
- Custom working: The role will predominantly be onsite but may offer a mixture of
home based and onsite working.
- Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows
employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a
wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual
- Network groups: To demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion.
- Training: Free access to Coursera which provides more than 4,000 online courses.
- Continuous Learning: You will be supported in your ongoing professional
development through training and mentoring.
- Investors in People: We are proud recipients of the Investors in People Silver Award.
- Employee Assistance Programme: Providing free and confidential mental health
- Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 12 flexi days.
Key Responsibility Areas
- EMC test engineering activities to defence and aviation standards such as MIL-STD-461, DO-160 and EFA EMC Specification.
- EMC test that covers the core areas of radiated/conducted emissions and susceptibility.
- The products you will test are mainly airborne including world leading ESCAN Radar, Electronic Counter Measures and Laser Designator. This will include current and future product lines that form part of the avionics suite on multiple platforms.
- You will work as part of a team responsible for early development lifecycle pre compliance through to formal product qualification EMC test.
- Support the team in sharing responsibility for Laboratory Management duties.
- Perform and record Safety Health and Environment duties associated with the facility, including monthly safety checks.
- Perform test equipment asset management duties to ensure equipment used is maintained, calibrated and fit for purpose.
- Drive implementation of a lean 5S workspace within the EMC facility.
- Administer EMC facility capital and minor capital budget/spend to ensure capability is maintained and improved.
- Write and peer review test reports for test undertaken within facility.
- Take ownership of facility general procedures, updating and maintaining as required.
- Write and peer review EMC test procedures used within facility.
- Take active role in facility audits, including internal quality, external AS9100D and ISO17025.
- Ensure test readiness of upcoming customers including review of Test Plans and holding/documenting Test Readiness Reviews.
- Where required guide and mentor more junior staff.
- Play an active role in being a team player, taking a proactive approach to working with colleagues and customers
You must be eligible for full security clearance.
We are relentless about inclusion. We understand an inclusive environment is one that welcomes everyone as they are. We see diversity as a strength. We still have some way to go to achieving diverse teams across our whole business. We would like you to be part of our journey to creating that better balance and welcome applications from all individuals from all walks of life as we build a stronger company together.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
- Degree qualified in Electronics, Physics or relevant subject (a reduced level of education with career experience will be considered as an alternative).
- EMC Test experience to MIL-STD-461, DO-160 and EFA EMC Specification, commercial test experience will also be considered favourably.
- Familiarity and experience of using, interpreting and recording results from EMC and RF measurement test equipment.
- Effective and flexible communication skills.
- You will work with internal and external customers, so experience in a customer facing role would be advantageous.
- Knowledge and experience of defining and maintaining Measurement Uncertainty
Budgets would be beneficial.
- Experience of working with a Quality Management System and laboratory accreditation would be advantageous (AS9100/ISO17025).
- Previous experience of applying the principles of 5S to ensure a clean, orderly and safe environment.
- Previous experience of new and upgraded EMC Laboratory requirement planning,
introduction and commissioning will be considered favourably.
- If you have less experience than we have shared within this domain we would still like to hear from you.
Engineering - 5
Primary Location: GB - Edinburgh
Hybrid Working: Onsite