Find your future role
Street Lighting Design Engineer
Our client is currently looking to recruit a Lighting Design Engineer based in Cambridgeshire or Suffolk.
Key skills required for this role
street lighting streetlighting design engineer
Street lighting desgin
Reporting to the Street Lighting Principal Engineer you will be working as part of a team, where you will play an important role providing technical support to other team members and clients. This will include delivering quality exterior lighting and associated electrical design solutions, including motorways, roads, public realm, decorative and feature lighting, also carrying out site surveys and inspection.
The job role is office based with flexibility for homeworking, and there is a requirement to carry out site surveys/inspections as part of the design work. You will take part in client meetings/briefings to discuss the proposed scheme/s or for project progress meetings, due to the location of some projects/contracts there will be at times occasional overnight stays required.
As a Lighting Design Engineer your duties & responsibilities will be:
- Preparation of reports, feasibility studies, designs, drawings, specifications, and contract documents.
- Clear communication skills and the individual must be able to develop strong technical credibility with the client and be able to foster relationships in a partnering environment
- Liaison with engineers/technicians from other disciplines.
- Carry out site surveys/inspection.
- Assist in the preparation of estimates.
- Design of lighting projects in accordance with relevant standards and codes of practice.
- Electrical designs for private cable networks in accordance with relevant standards.
- Liaise with clients, electricity suppliers, contractors, professional organisations, sub-consultants, and other design teams.
- Supporting the production of Environmental Lighting Impact Assessments reports, Economic Assessments reports and Business Cases.
- Assist with night time lighting assessments.
- Previous work experience in a lighting design consultancy / engineering practice / local authority.
- Any other tasks deemed necessary and commensurate with the grade.
Skills & Knowledge Requirements
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Completed the Institution of Lighting Professional Exterior Lighting Diploma and registered with the Engineering Council as EngTech and Affiliate Member of the ILP (IEng/MILP desirable)
- IT Literate, inc. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Conversant with lighting design software, in particular Lighting Reality
- Have experience or practical working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Have a working knowledge of Highways Agency DMRB and MCHDW standards, BS5489, BSEN 13201, BS7671 and ILP Technical Reports/guidance documents.
- Have a proven ability to work collaboratively as part of an integrated team
- Full driving licence.
- Ability to produce reports and liaise effectively with clients.