Find your future role
You will be part of a team delivering one of the most complex marine engineering projects currently taking place in the world to support the construction of the first new nuclear power station built in the UK in a generation.
Key skills required for this role
You'll join their Major Projects team based in Hinkley Point C.
Within this role you'll be working with and supporting the Health and Safety team at Hinkley Point C (HPC), providing expert advice and guidance on occupational hygiene matters pertinent to the project. You'll also be supported by the central health team at Balfour Beatty who provide an integrated approach to health across Balfour Beatty and all projects.
As a Occupational Hygienist, you will have the following accountabilities:
- To work closely with Health and safety team in providing an integrated approach to health
- To provide expert, informed advice on occupational hygiene across a wide range of work activities
- Provide guidance on appropriate measures needed to identify, control and verify hazards and interventions
- Ability to undertake a monitoring programme and analyse results and implement outcomes
- Ensure that the current health risk profile at the project is managed through the use of robust health risk assessment
- To ensure the focus on pro-active health risks management through the use of appropriate health-related campaigns and promotional material
- To deliver training to operational business on health risks and the means of controlling them
- Communicating effectively and in conjunction with the health and safety team ensure stakeholder expectations are managed in line with Balfour Beatty procedures
- Contributing to the work of any specific health related project groups/forums
- Providing expertise to assist in investigations and incidents involving health risks
- Providing reactive support to the business on occupational hygiene
- Ensuring project systems and processes enable compliance on health-related matter
You will have the following:
- Ability to work well within a team environment living Balfour Beatty values and behaviours
- Occupational Hygiene Degree or Diploma; Certificate of Operational Competence (BOHS)
- Experience of the application of good occupational hygiene practice covering a wide range of industrial processes
- High level understanding of the causes of ill health and preventative strategies
- Good knowledge of the UK Health & Safety Regulatory framework and legislation pertaining to occupational health risks
- Collaborative, reliable, proactive and able to meet demanding deadlines
- Strong communicator at all levels, both in terms of written and verbal communication
An excellent range of benefits awaits the successful candidate: -
- An attractive / negotiated salary
- Company Car
- 25 days annual leave
- Subsistence and travel (where applicable) paid
The project will see the construction of three tunnels under the seabed that will supply the two reactors at Hinkley Point C with cooling water and then discharge it back into the Bristol Channel.
Our experts will use state-of-the-art technology to excavate a total of nine kilometres of tunnel, which will be lined with 38,000 concrete segments forming 6000 lining rings. The tunnels will be connected to the seabed by vertical shafts and capped with large intake and outfall heads, each weighing close to 5000 tonnes, that allow sea water to pass into the tunnels. Both the concrete segments and the heads are under manufactured to exacting specifications at a purpose-built state-of-the-art facility.