Find your future role
Manufacturing Engineer - Tooling Lead
Our client is looking for a motivated individual with a strong knowledge of tooling, to join their expanding team in Luton.
Key skills required for this role
Tooling, Manufacture, Aerospace
Tooling, Manufacture, Aerospace
Please note we are unable to offer a sponsorship for this role.
The Manufacturing Engineer - Tooling Lead role involves the creation of tooling designs from initial concept through to production. Among other activities, this will include calibration of current and the development of new or existing tooling. Supporting Manufacturing Engineering teams may also be required. The successful candidate will be experienced in a relevant engineering discipline and have a "hands on" approach, be able to prioritise jobs, be comfortable liaising with suppliers and other departments.
The role will also provide leadership, coaching and mentoring to a small team of Tooling Engineers on the Luton site, supporting the Manufacturing Engineering Managers in matters of staff performance and development. The role will also be responsible for the overall load and capacity management of the tooling team members and provide reports and updates on tooling work plans as required by the Manufacturing Engineering Managers and/or Site Head of ME. There is the requirement for flexibility for occasional travel in the UK.
* Exemplifying a safety-first mind-set and ensuring compliance with the GKN Aerospace Health, Safety and Environmental policies and standards.
* Responsible for the development and support with technical solutions to complex problems within GKN Aerospace environment, our customers and suppliers by utilizing root cause analysis, preventative and corrective action to reduce and support to eliminate non-conformances.
* Maintain positive, team relationships with internal and external customers, as well as co-workers
* Responsible for tool fabrication quotes, tooling design and input for new product quotes, tooling configuration changes that involve cost estimation and schedule coordination and New Projects Introduction support.
* Act as key interface between external tooling suppliers and internal customers such as Program Managers and Engineering Managers
* Manage and maintain Tooling Engineers workload within the ME teams to ensure tooling work is sufficiently resourced by the business
* Creation, control and maintenance of master tooling registers for both customer and domestically owned tooling suites
How You'll Contribute
To help us make a difference, you'll bring your passion and talent for what you do along with the following skills, experience, qualifications and attributes:
* Technical expertise in Tooling solutions (Engineering), with a professional qualification (BEng, BSc, HNC) or strong background in engineering (Aerospace, Mechanical, or Automotive).
* Working knowledge of design for manufacture principles and tool/component manufacturing methods and able to provide technical input at all levels of work.
* Ability to create engineering drawings with an understanding of geometric tolerances and datum features.
* Organised and structured approach to tasks.
* Experience in tooling for composites and/or transparencies.
* Experienced in CAD 3D modelling and drafting (Catia V5).
* Understanding of inspection/calibration methods and interrogation of results.
* Be compliant with the Company's Environmental, Health & Safety and Energy procedures.
* Be proficient in English language, both written and spoken.
* Project Management experience.
* Understanding of export control and compliance and security marking requirements.
* Working knowledge of quality system models such as ISO9000, AS9100, or D1-9000.
* Experience of New Product/process Introduction (Industrialisation) & existing production process improvements.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do. The Manufacturing Engineer - Tooling Lead will have the ability to be agile and shift focus on competing priorities. The successful person will be a self-starter, able to manage own workload with excellent communication skills.